1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timelike and spacelike vectors

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if [itex]x^{\mu}[/itex] is timelike and [itex]x^{\mu}y_{\mu}=0[/itex], [itex]y^{\mu}\neq 0[/itex], then [itex]y^\mu[/itex] is spacelike.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]ds^2=\\>0\hspace{0.5cm}\text{timelike}\\<0\hspace{0.5cm}\text{spacelike}\\0\hspace{0.5cm}\text{lightlike}[/itex]
    metric is [itex]diag (+---)[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

Don't know if this is the correct way, but here goes: assuming that [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is timelike, we can pick a reference frame in which [itex]x^\mu=(x^0,\vec{0})[/itex], so due to invariance [itex]x^{\mu}y_{\mu}=x^0 y_0=0\rightarrow y^0=0[/itex], but, since it is stated that [itex]y^{\mu}\neq 0[/itex], then [itex]\vec{y}\neq 0[/itex], and hence we have [itex]y^\mu y_\mu=y^i y_i=-(\vec y)^2<0[/itex], making [itex]y^\mu[/itex] indeed spacelike. Am I missing something here or is this the right procedure?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your procedure is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted