1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timelike and spacelike.

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    Please,can you simply explain the meaning of terms time-like,space-like,time-like separated,space-like separated.I searched in web for an hour but all explanations are very complicated.I didn't understand anything.

IS the time-like separated means just difference in time of two points in some frame at dx=0 at this frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2
    If two events are time-like separated, then an object can travel from the first event to the second event with a velocity v<c.

Events separated by a time-like interval are always arranged in the same order in time. That is, if an observer O deduces that event A happens before B, then another observer O', moving relative to O, will also come to the same conclusion. There is a before and after. And there is a possibility that that event A will influence event B. (Cause and Effect.)

In a space-like interval, an object can be present at both events only if it travels at a velocity v>c. Since no object with mass can travel at such a speed, the two events are not causally connected. Also, there is no particular order between A and B(in time) if they are space-like separated.

On a spacetime diagram, for time-like events A and B, B will be within the light-cone of A and vice-versa. For space-like intervals, one event is outside the light-cone of the other.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    Thank you very much.It seems to that I understood something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?