Timelike Geodesic: Proving c^2 from $\ddot x^{\mu}$

• Thread starter barnflakes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, the lecturer has written a equation involving the 4-velocity and proper time, but it is not directly related to the equation stating that proper time is normalized with a magnitude of c. In a separate conversation, the concept of "contraction" is discussed, with one person asking for clarification on how it was applied in a specific equation. Another person explains that it is just multiplying both sides by the metric tensor. The original person then realizes they have figured it out and thanks the other person for their assistance.
barnflakes
My lecturer has written:

[itex]\ddot x^{\mu} + \Gamma^{\mu}{}_{\alpha \beta} \dot x^{\alpha} \dot x^{\beta} = 0 [/itex] where differentiation is with respect to some path parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex].

If we choose [itex]\lambda[/itex] equal to proper time [itex]\tau[/itex] then it can be readily proved that

[itex]c^2 = g_{\mu \nu}(x) \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tau}[/itex]

Only problem is I can't quite see how to go from the first to the second, can someone explain for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second does not follow from the first. The second is just a statement that proper time is normalized in such a way that the magnitude of the 4-velocity [itex]dx^{\mu} / d\tau[/itex] is c.

Ahar, thank you hamster, makes sense now.

My lecturer has written something like this:

[itex]R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}R g_{\mu \nu} + \Lambda g_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex]

"Now contract indices on both sides:

[itex]R^{\mu}{}_{\mu} - \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu}{}_{\mu}R + \Lambda g^{\mu}{}_{\mu} = 0[/itex]

Can someone explain exactly what "contraction" he has done he? I assume he means multiplying by the metric tensor but I'm not sure exactly what metric tensor multiplication has gone on here?

It is just multiplying both sides by [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex].

nicksauce said:
It is just multiplying both sides by [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex].

I was just coming online to say don't bother replying I figured it out but you beat me to it haha, thank you.

I figured out it was just multiplying by [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] and then the fact you have nu's instead of mu's makes no difference since it's just a dummy index. Thanks anyway :)

1. What is a timelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is a path in spacetime that represents the motion of an object with a constant velocity. It is the shortest possible path between two points in spacetime, and it follows the curvature of spacetime as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How is c^2 related to timelike geodesics?

In special relativity, the speed of light (c) is a fundamental constant that is the same for all observers. In general relativity, spacetime is curved and c^2 plays a crucial role in determining the curvature of spacetime. Timelike geodesics are paths that are consistent with the geometry of spacetime, and the speed of light is a key factor in determining the shape of these paths.

3. What is the significance of proving c^2 from $\ddot x^{\mu}$?

Proving c^2 from $\ddot x^{\mu}$ is important because it connects the fundamental constants of special relativity (c) with the fundamental principles of general relativity (curvature of spacetime). This provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light, and how this relationship is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How is $\ddot x^{\mu}$ used in proving c^2?

In general relativity, the acceleration of an object is described by $\ddot x^{\mu}$, which takes into account the curvature of spacetime. By using this equation, along with the principles of general relativity, it is possible to derive the value of c^2, which is a fundamental constant in special relativity.

5. What are the implications of proving c^2 from $\ddot x^{\mu}$?

Proving c^2 from $\ddot x^{\mu}$ further solidifies the connection between the principles of special relativity and general relativity. It also demonstrates the power and accuracy of Einstein's theory of general relativity in describing the behavior of objects in spacetime. This has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how it works.