1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timelike geodesic

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is to find ##A## and ##B## such that the specified curve (we are given a certain parameterisation , see below) is a timelike geodesic , where we have ##|s| < 1 ##

I am just stuck on the last bit really.

So since the geodesic is affinely paramterised ##dL/ds=0## and so I can set ##L=constant##, ##L ## the Lagrangian of a freely-falling particle.

Let ## L ## be this constant.

And with the specified metric and parameterised curve, which are all given to us, this gives:

##B^2(\frac{A^2-s^2}{1-s^2}) = L ##

This is all fine.

MY QUESTION IS...

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

MY QUESTION IS...

From this I conclude that (since a null curve is given by ##L=0##, a space-like by ## L < 0 ## and a time-like by ##L>0##, since the metric signature in the question is ( +, - ) ) that we require ##|A|<1## since we have ##|s| < 1 ## , and ##B\neq 0 ##, however the solution gives:

we need ##A=\pm 1 ## and ##B\neq 0 ##.
    I don't understand where ##A=\pm 1 ## comes from, I thought we just need it such that ##L > 0## and ##A=\pm 1 ## does this

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have not given us the full problem. You have forgotten to specify the given curve and metric.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    I know, Im pretty sure theyre not needed, it is just the final conclusion described above that I am stuck on. but I will post them now.

curve ## t= A tanh^{-1} s ## , ##x=B(1-s^{2})^{1/2}##
    metric : ##ds^2=x^2 dt^2 - dx^2 ##

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Jan 9, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try inserting the curve into the geodesic equations for the given metric?

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5
    the question was completed using the euler-lagrange equations. One replaced with setting ##L## to a constant as above, the other the E-L equation for ##t## which gave no new constraints on ##A## and ##B## .

It is just the conclusion as I say in OP that I am on stuck on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted