Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Timelike, Spacelike and Null

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    I've forgotten a lot of material and have been trying to go over it to get back up to speed. However, I can't figure out this one:

1, If [itex]P^\mu[/itex] is timelike and [itex]P^\mu S_\mu=0[/itex] then [itex]S^\mu[/itex] is spacelike.

I said that taking [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu} = (-1,+1,+1,+1),[/itex] we could deduce that [itex]P^2=P^0P^0-P^iP^i.[/itex] For this to be timelike, P^2 must be negative and so we can deduce that [itex]P^i>P^0.[/itex]

However, [itex]P^\mu S_\mu=P^0S^0-P^iS^i=0.[/itex]

Given that [itex]P^i>P^0[/itex], the only way for this to be true is if [itex]S^0>S^i \Rightarrow S^0S^0-S^iS^i>0[/itex] and so [itex]S^\mu[/itex] would be spacelike.

The one problem is that I took [itex]P^0P^0-P^iP^i<0[/itex] to imply [itex]P^0-P^i>0[/itex] which I don't think it does since [itex]P^\mu=(-4,1,1,1)[/itex] contradicts this and there is no requirement in the question that either of the vectors be future directed.

What am I doing wrong?

2, If [itex]P^\mu[/itex] and [itex]Q^\mu[/itex] are timelike and [itex]P^\mu Q_\mu<0[/itex] then either both are future directed or both are past directed. Again I proceeded in a similar fashion to above but seeing as I am unconvinced about that, I would like to seek some help for this also.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. How come no combination of LaTeX tags that I try ever works in this forum anymore?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try calculating ##(P^\mu+S^\mu)^2##. Your attempt fails for the reason you already noted. The implication you relied on isn't true.

Fixed your LaTeX for you. I changed the TEX tags to ITEX so it wasn't so spread out too.

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3
    well that gives [itex]P^\mu P_\mu + 2P^\mu S_\mu + S^\mu S_\mu[\itex]

but P^2<0 and P.S=0

I don't know what (P+S)^2 is though so I can't say anything constructive about the nature of S^2

Does (P+S)^2 have to equal zero? If so, why?

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, brain fart on my part. Let me think about it.

6. Feb 16, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since ##P^\mu## is timelike, you should be able to find a frame where ##P'^\mu = \Lambda^\mu{}_\nu P^\nu## has the form (P'0, 0, 0, 0). Try using that.

7. Feb 16, 2012 #6
    Hmmm. Afraid I'm not seeing it still.

I get (P+S)^2=P^2+2P.S+S^2 = P^2+S^2 since the cross term vanishes (from the info in the question)

This means (P+S)^2=P^2+S^2

What is [itex](P+S)^\mu[/itex]?

Well, we evaluate in the primed frame you suggest and find

[itex](P+S)^\mu=(P^0+S^0,S^1,S^2,S^3)[/itex] where I've suppressed all the primes

Now we square it wrt [itex]\eta_{\mu \nu} = (-1,1,1,1)[/itex]

[itex](P+S)^2=-(P^0+S^0)^2 +\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^3 (S^i)^2 [/itex]

Even expanding the bracket, I cannot arrive at anything helpful ???

8. Feb 16, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, sorry, I meant forget my former suggestion and just analyze ##P'^\mu S'_\mu=0##.

9. Feb 16, 2012 #8
    ok so we know we can find the frame that makes [itex]P'^\mu=(p'^0,0,0,0)[/itex] because it is timelike and therefore there exists a coordinate system such that any two points along the integral curve of P will be causally connected and therefore have no spatial separation.

This means that [itex]P'^\mu S'_\mu = -P'^0 S'^0 =0[/itex]

In order for this to vanish, we must have [itex]S'^0=0[/itex]

However, in order for S' to be a non-zero vector, we must have [itex]S'^i \neq 0[/itex] for some [itex]i \in \{ 1,2,3 \}[/itex]

This means S' will be spacelike in the primed frame and since the causal nature of a vector is unaffected by Lorentz transformations, S will still be spacelike in the unprimed frame, yes?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. Feb 16, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook