What is the timeout limit for users to be logged in?

• Thread starter anti_crank
  • Start date
In summary, the timeout limit for users to be logged in is 20 minutes. This can be an issue when composing long messages, as the user may be logged out before submitting. It is recommended to use a browser like Mozilla Firefox and to save longer posts in a word processor before pasting them. Additionally, the server-side solution of removing the cache-control time limit may help prevent this issue. Some users may not experience this issue if they have the "remember my password, automatically log me in" box checked. However, if a user is inactive for 20 minutes before trying to make a post, they may be prompted to log in again.
anti_crank
Science Advisor
What is the timeout limit for users to be logged in? I was composing a very long message that took me well over an hour, but when I hit submit it informed me that I was not logged in. You can probably see where this is going...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's 20 minutes.

Sometimes using the back button on your browser will let you go back to your post, but not always.

A good idea if you are making a lengthy post is to do it in word and then cut and paste it.

I'm sorry about that post, I know it can be annoying :) I believe it's 20 min too, but when you logged back in, wasn't your message posted? It's good to be on the safe-side and just press CTRL+A and then CTRL+C before making the post..

This is just an Internet Explorer issue.

[Client-Side Solution]
Use Mozilla Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

[Server-Side Solution]
Remove the cache-control time limit in the php session handler. Once the session times out you won't be able submit, but your post will be saved.

That's what I thought: that the post was saved even after the time-out.. I think one time I was timed out, signed back in and the post was posted after all.. erm.. or was that in hotmail? :rolleyes:

Sure Monique, whatever you say... :rofl:

ah, you know, last night I dreamt I was walking around in two entirely different shoes, life can be confusing :rofl: or the time I told someone he was on the right subway and that I was going in the same direction, and all of a sudden the train starts going in the wrong direction..

Monique said:
ah, you know, last night I dreamt I was walking around in two entirely different shoes, life can be confusing :rofl: or the time I told someone he was on the right subway and that I was going in the same direction, and all of a sudden the train starts going in the wrong direction..

:slapforehead: I always make sure that if I am in someone elses shoes, they are better than mine so I can steal them.

Anyway I have never had a time-out problem. Does it only happen when posting cos sometimes I can leave it on the main screen for an hour or so and then enter a forum and I'm still logged in as Jimmy P... which is quite a suprise.

I never get kicked out...I believe I stay logged in for days at a time without logging out. And I use IE (when I'm home).

That's because you've clicked the 'remember my password, automatically log me in' box, but if you've not been active for 20 minutes and try to make a post, it will tell you you're not logged in.. unless you've refreshed the screen in between.

I generally just wear sandals. Wait, what was the question again?

What is the timeout limit for users to be logged in?

The timeout limit for users to be logged in varies depending on the system and its settings. Generally, it ranges from 15 minutes to several hours. Some systems may also have the option for the user to set their own timeout limit.

Why is there a timeout limit for user logins?

The timeout limit for user logins is in place for security purposes. It helps to prevent unauthorized access to an account if a user forgets to log out or leaves their device unattended.

Can the timeout limit for user logins be changed?

In most cases, the timeout limit for user logins can be changed by the administrator of the system. However, there may be certain restrictions or limitations set by the system that cannot be altered.

What happens when a user reaches the timeout limit?

When a user reaches the timeout limit, they will be automatically logged out of their account. They will then need to log back in to continue using the system.

Can the timeout limit be extended or disabled?

Yes, the timeout limit can be extended or disabled in some systems. However, it is important to consider the security risks before making changes to the timeout limit.