Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timeout

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1

anti_crank

Science Advisor

What is the timeout limit for users to be logged in? I was composing a very long message that took me well over an hour, but when I hit submit it informed me that I was not logged in. You can probably see where this is going...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I believe it's 20 minutes.

Sometimes using the back button on your browser will let you go back to your post, but not always.

A good idea if you are making a lengthy post is to do it in word and then cut and paste it.

4. Aug 1, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry about that post, I know it can be annoying :) I believe it's 20 min too, but when you logged back in, wasn't your message posted? It's good to be on the safe-side and just press CTRL+A and then CTRL+C before making the post..

5. Aug 1, 2004 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

This is just an Internet Explorer issue.

[Client-Side Solution]
    Use Mozilla Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

[Server-Side Solution]
    Remove the cache-control time limit in the php session handler. Once the session times out you won't be able submit, but your post will be saved.

6. Aug 1, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I thought: that the post was saved even after the time-out.. I think one time I was timed out, signed back in and the post was posted after all.. erm.. or was that in hotmail? :rolleyes:

7. Aug 1, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Sure Monique, whatever you say.... :rofl:

8. Aug 1, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ah, you know, last night I dreamt I was walking around in two entirely different shoes, life can be confusing :rofl: or the time I told someone he was on the right subway and that I was going in the same direction, and all of a sudden the train starts going in the wrong direction..

9. Aug 2, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

:slapforehead: I always make sure that if I am in someone elses shoes, they are better than mine so I can steal them.

Anyway I have never had a time-out problem. Does it only happen when posting cos sometimes I can leave it on the main screen for an hour or so and then enter a forum and I'm still logged in as Jimmy P... which is quite a suprise.

10. Aug 3, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never get kicked out...I believe I stay logged in for days at a time without logging out. And I use IE (when I'm home).

11. Aug 3, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because you've clicked the 'remember my password, automatically log me in' box, but if you've not been active for 20 minutes and try to make a post, it will tell you you're not logged in.. unless you've refreshed the screen in between.

12. Aug 5, 2004 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I generally just wear sandals. Wait, what was the question again?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?