Timer Switch Questions: Answers & Solutions

In summary, the individual is seeking a way to connect a timer to their pellet stove, which has a push button switch for the on and off functions. They are considering a programmable thermostat with a timer, but are unsure if it can complete a circuit for a brief moment like a switch. Another individual suggests using an Allen Bradley timer relay, which can be set for various time intervals and has been successfully used in other projects. The individual is also considering using a thermostat for an HVAC system, but notes that most thermostats have held contacts which may not work with their stove's momentary contact push button. They are advised to bypass or jumper the push button and install the thermostat before the holding circuit.
MES
I am trying to figure a way to hook up a timer to my pellet stove. The control board of the stove has an "on" button and a separate "off" button. The on button is a push button switch. My question is: is there a programmable timer that closes a circuit for a second and releases the switch like some one pushed the button? I was considering a programmable thermostat with a timer built in. Does the timer operate by completing the circuit and releasing? Or does it switch on and keep the circuit closed? Or am I way off and it is sending a small amount of electricity thru the wire and it’s not a switch. Does this project even sound possible? I don’t really want to take the stove apart if it’s not worth doing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Allen Bradley makes excellent timer relays that you can do this with. They have many functions and even an adjustable dial with adjustable time units so you can set the timer anywhere from under a second to a couple of days. They are bulletproof. I have retro fitted many of them into use for antique elevator wye delta transfer timers. Never had a problem.

Ok thank you very much for the info. I’m going to dig a little deeper to check how much voltage is running to the switch just to get an idea what I am working with. The last thing i want to do is fry all the electrical components.

I haven't really messed with it because I have been busy but its found its way back to the top of the to do list so I am back to looking. I was thinking to use a thermostat for an hvac system that would control when the unit came on. I am going to get one and test to see how the thermostat acts like a switch. I know that i need something that completes a circuit for a brief moment. If I find one ill let you know.

the only issue that i can see with what you are trying to do is that most thermostats are held contacts, so when they're on its held closed. it sounds to me like your stove has a momentary contact PB for the 'ON'. that being said, your control circuit still needs power, so there must be a holding circuit that is bypassing the 'ON' PB.

if you want the thermostat on it, what i would do, is bypass/jumper out the 'ON' PB and install the thermostat before the holding circuit by wiring it directly after the 'OFF' PB.

PHP:
       ORIGINAL 

-----------------------___-----x------___-------x-----------(holding coil)-----
                     nc 'off'  |    no 'on'     | 
                               |-------||-------|
                                  no  'holding'

TO THIS         |--------____--------|
         |     'thermostat'   |
----___--x   x------___-------x-----------(holding coil)-----
  nc 'off'   |     no 'on'    | 
             |-------||-------|
                  no 'holding'
           OR THIS                                    jumper
                                  |---------|
------___--------------___-----x--x---___---x---x-----------(holding coil)-----
  'thermostat'       nc 'off'  |    no 'on'     | 
                               |-------||-------|
                                  no  'holding'

Last edited:
I will try this and see if it works, Thanks!

1. How does a timer switch work?

A timer switch works by allowing you to set a specific time for an electrical device to turn on and off. This is done by using a built-in clock and a mechanical or electrical mechanism that controls the flow of electricity to the device.

2. What are the benefits of using a timer switch?

There are several benefits to using a timer switch. It can help save energy and money by automatically turning off devices when they are not in use. It can also provide added convenience by automatically turning on devices at specific times, such as lights or appliances.

3. How do I install a timer switch?

The installation process may vary depending on the type of timer switch you have. Generally, you will need to turn off the power to the circuit, remove the old switch, and connect the wires to the new timer switch according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is recommended to hire a licensed electrician for proper installation.

4. Can I use a timer switch with all types of devices?

Timer switches are compatible with most electrical devices that can be plugged into an outlet or connected to a switch. However, it is important to check the specifications of the timer switch to ensure it is suitable for the specific device you are using.

5. How do I troubleshoot common issues with a timer switch?

If your timer switch is not working properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, make sure the power is turned on and the timer is set correctly. If the switch is making a humming noise, it may indicate a wiring issue. If the switch is not working at all, it may need to be replaced.