Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tim's Wins

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Re: How do you want your coffee?

Lately, I've been liking my coffee with a Roll-up-able Rim. You may need to be Canadian to get it (and probably need to be Canadian to win!)
    http://rolluptherimtowin.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

tim hortons coffee with two sugars tastes like sugar water. but i get to roll up the rim so its a compromise.

ideally, 18% cream and a moderate amount of sugar.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far, I've won six free drinks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After writing this, I won a doughnut.

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

The global odds are only like 1 in 7 of winning anything! Then again, I guess that only works out to like 42 coffees (less with the extra large) over the past 2-3 weeks...

7. Mar 24, 2010 #6

I drink from timmies almost every day and I haven't won a thing for 2 years. The last thing I won was a free muffin or something. Rediculous. My dad and cousin on the other hand have both won $100 tim cards.

Maybe I'm due to win the Rav-4? :wink:

8. Mar 25, 2010 #7
    haha. i would say i've bought 15 drinks so far. Haven't won anything. the odds are 1 in 9 i believe. but i bought a hot chocolate for my girlfriend, and she won, and kept the free coffee. so that means im 0 for 14 when i buy me drinks, and shes 1 for 1 when i buy her drinks. unfortunate results lol.

9. Mar 25, 2010 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get approximately fifteen large teas a week from Tim's. On my last tea from Tim's yesterday, I won a doughnut; on my first tea from Tim's today, I won a drink.

Current total: seven drinks and one doughnut.

For me, Tim's is too conveniently located. I just timed it and found that the nearest Tim's is an 80 second indoor walk from my office. Eighteen months ago, I started to make an effort to decrease (but not eliminate) my consumption of ice caps and doughnuts, and I have lost ten pounds. Going from three (large) roti (and salan) for supper to two also helped.

10. Mar 25, 2010 #9
    where do you live? ive purchased a whole bunch of large coffees and one of my co workers has a conspiracy that they don't put as many winners in large cups as they do mediums. But now hearing that you buy larges and win a lot, she is wonder if geographical location has somethign to do with it.

11. Mar 25, 2010 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to my Physics Forums profile, I live in Saint John, New Brunswick :wink:.

My second and third teas today were both "PLEASE PLAY AGAIN." According to my sister's husband, this message contains a spelling mistake, one too many "L"s.

12. Mar 25, 2010 #11
    haha kudos to your sisters husband. and sorry i didnt think to check your profile.

13. Mar 25, 2010 #12
    Hahahahahaha, that's pretty funny.

14. Mar 25, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

We have Tim's in Maine too, but I prefer my home-made espresso and rarely buy a coffee from anywhere.

15. Mar 25, 2010 #14
    tim horonts coffee isn't that good anyways. youre not missing a whole lot.

16. Mar 25, 2010 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There were Tim Horton's in MI when I lived there too (not far from the Canadian border). They were okay, but not as good as Dunkin' Donuts (except for the French Cruller doughnuts, which were WAY better at Tim's). But, now I have neither. I can do without the bad coffee, but I REALLY miss the doughnuts.

17. Mar 25, 2010 #16
    The sad part, Moonbear, is if you ask a large segment of the Canadian population whether or not Tim Horton's makes good coffee, they'll resoundingly say, "Yes". I know. Sad but true.

Okay, does it count in this thread if three of the people I was a kids' hockey game with, who were drinking Timmy's coffee, each won a free coffee?

18. Mar 25, 2010 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In their defense, when I used to have to drag myself out of bed sometime between midnight and 3 AM to head to the farm for an experiment, and the Tim Horton's was only a block from my apartment, that large cup of coffee was pretty darned good! :biggrin: It was certainly better than the gas station a few blocks further, and it was faster to run into Tim Horton's than to wait for my own coffee to brew.

I had my second cup of coffee after I got to the farm (we had all the essentials there -- coffee maker, microwave, fridge), and my third, fourth, fifth, etc. Of course, that was back when I could grab a couple of those doughnuts, and snack on a million other things all day long and never gain an ounce.

19. Mar 25, 2010 #18

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I think it's a function of the ubiquity of Tim Hortons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons

A Tim Horton's for every 10,000 Canadians (and driving around town sometimes, it feels like there's one every few blocks!)

They've established themselves as a fixture and Canadian institution. Even though they might not have the best coffee ever, it's definitely something that people are familiar with, oftentimes where we'd go for the hot chocolate / coffee / tea while growing up, and, because of all that, kinda comforting sometimes.

20. Mar 25, 2010 #19
    I live in a small Alberta city of about 60,000 people. We have three Tim Horton's. We have two Second Cups and five Starbucks. (Although I don't think two of the Starbucks count for this discussion because one is inside of a Safeway and one is inside of a Chapters.) Of all of these places, each and every morning, Tim Horton's has a line-up at the drive-through. Every single morning. Those places are like a license to print cash.

21. Mar 27, 2010 #20

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won another drink today.

Current total: eight drinks and one doughnut.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook