Optimizing Tin Can Dimensions for Minimum Surface Area

In summary, the given problem is to find the ratio of height to diameter for a tin can with a given capacity, in order to minimize the total surface area of the can. Using the formula for surface area, the derivative is taken and set equal to 0 to find the critical value for r. Substituting this value into the equation for height, the ratio of height to diameter is found to be 1:1.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Optimization Problem

Homework Statement

A tin can is to have a given capacity. Find the ratio of height to diameter if the amount of tin (total surface area) is a minimum.

Homework Equations

c=pi(r^2)h
surface area = 2pi(r^2)+2h(pi)r

The Attempt at a Solution

h= c/(pi(r^2))

= 2pi(r^2)+2pi(r)(c/(pi(r^2)))
= 2pi(r^2) + c(r^-1)

Now, derivate of surface area:

SA` = 4hr - c/(r^2)
0 = ( 4h(r^3)-c )/(r^2)
4h(r^3)=c
r = [tex]\sqrt[3]{c/(4pi)}[/tex]

After this I don't know what to do. Can someone please guide me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to find the quantity, d/h for a given c, meaning you want to get d/h in terms of c. Now,

[tex]\frac{d}{h}=\frac{2r}{h}[/tex]

Can you fill into the above equation and find d/r in terms of c?

Thank you for response GO1.

If I understand you correctly, here is what I did:

d= diameter
h = height

So, as you said [tex]\frac{2r}{h}[/tex], I simply replace h with [tex]\frac{C}{pi(r^2)}[/tex]

Now, I get [tex]\frac{2pi(\frac{c}{4pi})}{c}[/tex] (the third root and cube cancel each other out in the step before this)

And then, [tex]\frac{d}{h}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Is that right? Please correct me If I am wrong. Thanks.

I also end up with 1/2 as my answer. I think you got it.:smile:

thanks very much. But are you 'sure' that I have done it right? Or do you 'think' I have done the question correctly? It would be helpful for a good confirmation.

Thanks for your help.

I am quite sure you got the problem correct.

thanks.

hold on. can you please check again.

I think the surface area is: 2pir^2 + 2cr^-1

rum2563 said:
hold on. can you please check again.

I think the surface area is: 2pir^2 + 2cr^-1

Indeed it is. Sorry about that. Your method to solve the problem is still correct though. Work the problem the same way but with the correct SA formula.

Again,I'm very sorry. Not that this is an excuse, but I usually help here in between my own work and classes and can get distracted while working on a problem. That was probably what happened here.

rum2563 said:

Homework Statement

A tin can is to have a given capacity. Find the ratio of height to diameter if the amount of tin (total surface area) is a minimum.

Homework Equations

c=pi(r^2)h

The Attempt at a Solution

h= c/(pi(r^2))

= 2pi(r^2)+2pi(r)(c/(pi(r^2)))
= 2pi(r^2) + c(r^-1)

Now, derivate of surface area:

SA` = 4hr - c/(r^2)
No, not "4hr- c/r^2", 4pi r- c/r^2.
0 = ( 4h(r^3)-c )/(r^2)
4h(r^3)=c
r = [tex]\sqrt[3]{c/(4pi)}[/tex]
Now, its pi again!

After this I don't know what to do. Can someone please guide me? Thanks.
You've found r and you know that h= c/(pi r^2). What is h? What is their ratio?

Last edited by a moderator:
G01, thanks for your help. I was going over the question when I realized that it had mistakes. But your help allowed me to follow the question and make sure to get it right. Now, I have got it, thanks for your help.

HallsofIvy, thanks to you too. You helped me fix the formula. It was great work. I actually didn't realize my mistakes after some long time...lol. But thanks a lot.

The answer I got is 1:1 for the ratio of height to diameter.

1. What is the Tin Can Optimization Problem?

The Tin Can Optimization Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal way to cut and unfold a sheet of metal into a cylinder, in order to minimize the material waste and maximize the volume of the can.

2. Why is the Tin Can Optimization Problem important?

The Tin Can Optimization Problem has practical applications in industries that use metal cans, such as food and beverage packaging. By optimizing the shape of the cans, companies can reduce production costs and minimize environmental impact.

3. What are the main factors to consider in the Tin Can Optimization Problem?

The main factors to consider in the Tin Can Optimization Problem include the dimensions of the metal sheet, the desired volume of the can, and the shape and placement of the cuts on the sheet. The goal is to find the optimal combination of these factors to create the most efficient can.

4. What methods are used to solve the Tin Can Optimization Problem?

There are various mathematical and computational methods used to solve the Tin Can Optimization Problem. These include linear programming, dynamic programming, and genetic algorithms. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem and its constraints.

5. How does the Tin Can Optimization Problem relate to other optimization problems?

The Tin Can Optimization Problem is a type of cutting stock problem, which involves finding the most efficient way to cut raw materials into smaller pieces to satisfy a given demand. Other optimization problems that are similar to the Tin Can Optimization Problem include the knapsack problem and the bin packing problem, which also involve maximizing space usage and minimizing waste.