Tin Whiskers: Electronics' Silent Killer

• Thread starter Huckleberry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, the article talks about how tin whiskers can grow and damage electronic components, and how Integrated Circuit manufacturers have to figure out ways to prevent this problem. It also provides an intro article at wikipedia.org.
Huckleberry
They've ruined missiles, silenced communications sattelites and forced nuclear power plants to shut down. Pacemakers, consumer gadgets and even a critical part of a space shuttle have fallen victim.

The culprits? Tiny splinters - whiskers, they're called - that sprout without warning from tin solder and finishes deep inside electronics. By some estimates, the resulting short-circuits have leveled as much as $10 billion in damage since they were first noticed in the 1940s
Florida Today - Sunday, Oct 7, 2007.
http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tinwhiskersscan2tc0.jpg

Just recently where I work we had a large amount of electronics parts shipped back to us because some terminals had tin plating. I have never seen these tin whiskers before and I can't find a good explanation for what causes them to grow. There is a decent picture of some severe growth in the article.The article also states that Europe has barred lead from most electronic components, and I assume that a tin-based solder will be substituted.

Any ideas on what might cause this, or what will happen as all of these lead free electronics age?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I could swear we had a thread on these a while back. I'll have to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here's one. It has a link to another board with some good links to follow.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=59813

Last edited:
Electromigration is a serious issue. At my work, we ended up holding up the release of an important product in order to understand and figure out a way to prevent electromigration in an important product (sells in the millions worldwide). Integrated circuit manufacturers had to figure out how to keep electromigration from causing dendritic growth inside ICs way back in the early days as well...

Here's a good intro article at wikipedia.org, with a number of useful links out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

After you read through some of the references that Fred and I have offered, feel free to post more questions here if you like. Preventing this problem is non-trivial, but do-able if you understand the issues.

1. What are tin whiskers?

Tin whiskers are microscopic, hair-like structures that can grow from the surface of tin-based metals, such as tin-coated electronic components. They are a natural occurrence and can be found in various environments, including electronic devices.

2. What causes tin whiskers to form?

The exact cause of tin whiskers is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of stress on the metal, such as changes in temperature or pressure. This stress can cause the tin atoms to rearrange and form the hair-like structures.

3. How do tin whiskers affect electronics?

Tin whiskers can cause short circuits and other malfunctions in electronic devices. They can also lead to sudden and unexpected failures, which can be a major concern for critical systems such as in aerospace or medical equipment.

4. Can tin whiskers be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent tin whiskers from forming, there are steps that can be taken to minimize their occurrence. These include using alternative materials to tin, such as lead-based alloys, and implementing proper stress-relieving techniques during the manufacturing process.

5. How are tin whiskers detected?

Tin whiskers are difficult to detect due to their small size, but they can be observed using specialized equipment, such as scanning electron microscopes. Other methods of detection include electrical testing and visual inspection using high-powered magnification.

Back