Deriving Equation x1m=(x1CMC2)/(x1CMC2+x2CMC1) | Tinkering with Equations

• Thread starter jajajujujojo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation involving x1m, CMC1, and CMC2. The equations used include Eq 1: 1/CMC=x1/CMC1+x2/CMC2, Eq 2: CMC=x1mCMC1+x2mCMC2, and Eq 3: x1+x2=1. The attempt at a solution involves inverting Eq 2 and equating it with Eq 1, then using the fact that x2m=(1-x1m) to eliminate x2m. However, the result obtained is not leading closer to the solution. It is suggested to solve for x1 and x2 using only eq
jajajujujojo
1. Please could you give me a hand with deriving the following equation:

x1m=(x1CMC2)/(x1CMC2+x2CMC1)

Homework Equations

Eq 1: 1/CMC=x1/CMC1+x2/CMC2
Eq 2: CMC=x1mCMC1+x2mCMC2
Eq 3: x1+x2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. invert Eq 2 and equate with Eq 1.
2. eliminate x2m using the fact that x2m=(1-x1m)
3. Rearrange..

I get to the following and don't know how to get closer to the solution. I've got a feeling I'm missing something obvious.

x1m=[(CMC1/x1)+(CMC2/x2)-CMC2)]/(CMC1-CMC2)

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jajajujujojo said:
1. Please could you give me a hand with deriving the following equation:

x1m=(x1CMC2)/(x1CMC2+x2CMC1)

Homework Equations

Eq 1: 1/CMC=x1/CMC1+x2/CMC2
Eq 2: CMC=x1mCMC1+x2mCMC2
Eq 3: x1+x2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. invert Eq 2 and equate with Eq 1.
2. eliminate x2m using the fact that x2m=(1-x1m)
3. Rearrange..
Please show the work that you have done. Telling us a result you have gotten to does not help us understand where you might have gone astray.
jajajujujojo said:
I get to the following and don't know how to get closer to the solution. I've got a feeling I'm missing something obvious.

x1m=[(CMC1/x1)+(CMC2/x2)-CMC2)]/(CMC1-CMC2)

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

What are you ultimately trying to solve for?

You can solve for x1 and x2 immediately by working exclusively with eqns. 1 and 3. The equations are linear.

Chet

the fact that x2m = ( 1 - x1m )
Is based on what, exactly ?

And: you say you want help in deriving these equations. You mean solving ?

1. What is tinkering with equations?

Tinkering with equations is the process of manipulating mathematical equations in order to understand and solve problems. It involves making changes to the variables, constants, and operations within an equation to see how it affects the overall outcome.

2. Why is tinkering with equations important in science?

Tinkering with equations is important in science because it allows scientists to test and refine their hypotheses through mathematical models. It also helps in understanding complex systems and predicting outcomes in various experiments and real-life situations.

3. What skills are required for tinkering with equations?

Tinkering with equations requires a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Additionally, critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for effectively tinkering with equations.

4. How can tinkering with equations be applied in different fields of science?

Tinkering with equations can be applied in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to model and understand natural phenomena, make predictions, and design experiments and technologies.

5. What are some tips for effective tinkering with equations?

Some tips for effective tinkering with equations include breaking down complex equations into smaller parts, checking for errors, and experimenting with different values for the variables. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the problem and to think critically about the steps taken to manipulate the equation.