Exploring the Possibility of Larger Dimensions in String Theory

• Thread starter Stanley Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the conversation discusses the subject of dimensions, specifically in relation to string theory. The question of whether the dimensions predicted by string theory are small is raised, and it is explained that dimensions cannot be inside of each other. The possibility of larger dimensions is also mentioned, with mention of a textbook and theories proposing large extra dimensions. The conversation ultimately concludes with the acceptance of the standard ideas about extra dimensions in string theory.
Stanley Lee
I hope I'm asking in the right forum. I'm trying to understand the subject of more dimensions a little better.
Does the dimensions predicted by string theory have to be small?
Can our known dimensions predicted by string theory actually be inside much larger dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimensions are independent entities. A dimension cannot be inside of another dimension.

Likes bhobba
Yes, but the OP has raised a point about string theories which puzzle me too.
If a string theory requires extra dimensions, why should these only be comparatively small in scale as compared to regular observable dimensions of space/time.
Is a macromacro scale dimension or more, equally much of a possibililty?

Hartle's GR textbook has a one-page sidebar discussion of the metric structure of "tiny rolled-up dimensions" and why they would have escaped everyday notice and the attention of experimentalists to date. It's a good starting point for the subject.

There was a time when I thought the focus on the extra dimensions being small was unnatural and biased. Then Randall and Sundrum came along with a scenario of large extra dimensions. And then Maldacena came up with AdS/CFT, a situation in which compact extra dimensions appear naturally (in the AdS side of the duality). That made me more accepting of the standard ideas about the extra dimensions.

1. What are tiny dimensions?

Tiny dimensions refer to the concept of additional spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we are familiar with in everyday life. These dimensions are hypothesized to be smaller than the Planck length, which is the smallest possible unit of length in the universe.

2. How many tiny dimensions are there?

The exact number of tiny dimensions is unknown and is a subject of ongoing scientific research. Some theories propose the existence of up to 11 dimensions, while others suggest an infinite number of dimensions. However, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of these dimensions.

3. Can we see or experience tiny dimensions?

No, we cannot see or experience tiny dimensions directly as they are too small to be observed with our current technology. However, some theories suggest that these dimensions may affect the behavior of particles and energy at a microscopic level.

4. How do tiny dimensions impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of tiny dimensions is a part of various theories, such as string theory and M-theory, that attempt to explain the fundamental laws of the universe. These theories suggest that tiny dimensions could help reconcile the discrepancies between the laws of physics that govern the very small (quantum mechanics) and the very large (general relativity).

5. Are there any practical applications of studying tiny dimensions?

While there are no direct practical applications of studying tiny dimensions, the research and understanding of these dimensions could lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. This, in turn, could potentially lead to advancements in technology and other fields of science.