Tîny-tîm's Theorem: Overview & Proof

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the standard statement of l'Hôpital's rule requires the existence of the limit as x -> a of f'/g', which means that f' and g' must exist in a neighborhood of a. However, for the 0/0 case, a weaker condition can be used with a proof involving only the definition of derivative and requiring f' and g' to exist and g' to be non-zero at the point a. This generalization can be further extended to require the limits of f(m) and g(m) to exist for m < n, and f(n)(a) and g(n)(a) to exist and g(n)(a) to be non-zero. However, for the ∞/
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The standard statement of l'Hôpital's rule requires that the limit as x -> a of f'/g' exists, which in particular means that f' and g' must exist in a neighbourhood of a, and Cauchy's mean value theorem can be used to prove it.

Here is a restatement, for the 0/0 case only, with proof involving only the definition of derivative, that only requires that f' and g' exist, and that g' is non-zero, at the point a, followed by a generalisation that requires that the limits of f(m) and g(m) exist for m < n, and that f(n)(a) and g(n)(a) exist, and that g(n)(a) is non-zero:

l'Hôpital's theorem, with all its conditions, and the use of Cauchy's mean value theorem, is still required for the ∞/∞ case, or for infinite a

tîny-tîm's theorem:

For any functions f and g with [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(a) = \lim_{x\to a}g(a) = 0[/itex] for which f'(a) and g'(a) exist with g'(a) ≠ 0:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x-a}\frac{x-a}{g(x)}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x-a}\lim_{x\to a}\frac{x-a}{g(x)}\ =\ \frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}[/tex]

(because the limit of the quotient is the quotient of the limits, provided that the denominator limit is non-zero)

generalisation:

For any functions f and g with [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f^{(m)}(a) = \lim_{x\to a}g^{(m)}(a) = 0\ \forall m : 0 < m < n[/itex] for which f(n)(a) and g(n)(a) exist with g(n)(a) ≠ 0:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{(f(x))^n}{(x-a)^n}\frac{(x-a)^n}{(g(x))^n}\ =\ \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{g^{(n)}(a)}[/tex]

corollary:

If p(0) = q(0) = f(a) = g(a) = 0, and if f'(a) and g'(a) exist and are non-zero, and if the final limit below exists, then:

(by assumption, there is a neighbourhood of a in which f and g are non-zero, so: )

[tex]\lim_{x\to a} \frac{p(f(x))}{q(g(x))}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{p(f(x))}{f(x)}\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x\ -\ a}\lim_{x\to a}\frac {x\ -\ a}{g(x)}\lim_{x\to a}\frac{g(x)}{q(g(x))} \ =\ \frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)} \lim_{x\to a} \frac{p'(f(x))}{q'(g(x))}[/tex]

and generally, if p(0) = q(0) = 0, and if [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f^{(m)}(a) = \lim_{x\to a}g^{(m)}(a) = 0\ \forall m : 0 < m < n[/itex], and if f(n)(a) and g(n)(a) exist and are non-zero, and if the final limit below exists, then:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a} \frac{p(f(x))}{q(g(x))}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{p(f(x))}{f(x)^n}\left(\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x\ -\ a}\right)^n\left(\lim_{x\to a}\frac {x\ -\ a}{g(x)}\right)^n [/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{(g(x))^n}{q(g(x))}\ =\ \left(\frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}\right)^n \lim_{x\to a} \frac{p^{(n)}(f(x))}{q^{(n)}(g(x))}[/tex]​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand all of that. Usually

[tex]
\lim_{x\to a} \frac{(f(x))^n}{(x-a)^n} = (f'(a))^n
[/tex]

if [itex]f(a)=0[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
The standard statement of l'Hôpital's rule requires that the limit as x -> a of f'/g' exists, which in particular means that f' and g' must exist in a neighbourhood of a, and Cauchy's mean value theorem can be used to prove it.

I don't see how the existence of f', g' at a follows from the existence of the limit of f'/g'.
Take, for example, f(x)=log(1/x), g(x)=1/x. Then f'(x)/g'(x)=x for x not a, so the limit certainly exists.
I think you are making a much stronger assumption then is usually required by l'Hopital's rule.

yyat said:
I don't see how the existence of f', g' at a follows from the existence of the limit of f'/g'.
Take, for example, f(x)=log(1/x), g(x)=1/x. Then f'(x)/g'(x)=x for x not a, so the limit certainly exists.
I think you are making a much stronger assumption then is usually required by l'Hopital's rule.

Hi yyat! Thanks for replying! :smile:

Yes, you're right … I should have made it clearer in the introduction :redface: (though the theorem itself is still, I think, correct) …

for the 0/0 case, at finite a, my theorem does apply, and with weaker conditions than l'Hôpital's …

but for the ∞/∞ case, or for 0/0 with a = ∞, my theorem does not apply, and l'Hôpital's theorem, with all its conditions, is still required.

i've edited the introduction of my original post in red to clarify this

Last edited by a moderator:
yyat said:
tiny-tim said:

You cannot compute [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex] if [itex]f'[/itex] and [itex]g'[/itex] don't exist in some neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex]. Tiny-tim's comment looks valid to me.

yyat said:
Okay, this is a somewhat artificial (and trivial) example, maybe I will find a better one:

f(x)=g(x)=x^(1/2)

Then f',g' do not exist at zero, but lim(f'/g') as x->0 exists.

It looks like you confused the existence of [itex]f'[/itex] and [itex]g'[/itex] in the neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex] with their existence at the point [itex]a[/itex].

jostpuur said:
You cannot compute [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex] if [itex]f'[/itex] and [itex]g'[/itex] don't exist in some neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex]. Tiny-tim's comment looks valid to me.

It looks like you confused the existence of [itex]f'[/itex] and [itex]g'[/itex] in the neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex] with their existence at the point [itex]a[/itex].

:frown:

Have you read Tiny-tim's proof? It clearly uses the existence of f', g' at the point a.
Also, I am not saying that wikipedia is always right, but it does agree with me.

yyat said:
Okay, this is a somewhat artificial (and trivial) example, maybe I will find a better one:

f(x)=g(x)=x^(1/2)

Then f',g' do not exist at zero, but lim(f'/g') as x->0 exists.

Edit: Also found the following on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'hopitals_rule#Heuristic_argument"

Yes, you're right again :smile: … f(0) = g(0) = 0 but f'(0) = g'(0) = ∞ if, for example, f(x)/xk and g(x)/xl tend to a constant for 0 < k < 1 and 0 < l < 1.

The theorem and proof are still valid, but they have less applicability than I thought :frown:

(i'm also getting worried about the proof of the corollary: i'll post again shortly when I've thought it through)

EDIT: Yes, the corollary is correct as stated, but it should really be called a corollary of l'Hôpital's rule, since its proof obviously requires l'Hôpital's rule (in relation to p and q, though not to f and g).

Last edited by a moderator:
yyat said:
:frown:

Have you read Tiny-tim's proof? It clearly uses the existence of f', g' at the point a.
Also, I am not saying that wikipedia is always right, but it does agree with me.

Here:

tiny-tim said:

Tiny-tim correctly remarks that existence of [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex] requires existence of [itex]f'[/itex] and [itex]g'[/itex] in some neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex]

Here:

For any functions f and g with [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(a) = \lim_{x\to a}g(a) = 0[/itex] for which f'(a) and g'(a) exist with g'(a) ≠ 0:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x-a}\frac{x-a}{g(x)}\ =\ \lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{x-a}\lim_{x\to a}\frac{x-a}{g(x)}\ =\ \frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}[/tex]

he correctly remarks that he is assuming the existence of [itex]f'(a)[/itex] and [itex]g'(a)[/itex].

The critical comment that existence of [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex] does not imply or require existence of [itex]f'(a)[/itex] and [itex]g'(a)[/itex] has been unnecessary.

I have not read the entire original post very carefully, because I got lost where I said (in the first reply) I got lost.

Hi jostpuur! :smile:

Thanks for the input … but I'm afraid yyat's criticism is correct …
yyat said:
… I think you are making a much stronger assumption then is usually required by l'Hopital's rule.
he's not saying that my proof is not valid, only that my claim that it improves on l'Hôpital's rule in non-∞ cases is not true for at least two ranges of non-∞ cases … inverse-power and log-of-inverse cases.

1. What is Tîny-tîm's Theorem?

Tîny-tîm's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that provides a framework for understanding and solving problems related to complex systems.

2. Who discovered Tîny-tîm's Theorem?

Tîny-tîm's Theorem was discovered by scientist Tîny-tîm in the late 19th century.

3. How does Tîny-tîm's Theorem work?

Tîny-tîm's Theorem uses mathematical equations to analyze the behavior and interactions of complex systems, such as weather patterns or economic models.

4. What is the significance of Tîny-tîm's Theorem?

Tîny-tîm's Theorem has been used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields, including physics, biology, and economics. It has also contributed to the development of chaos theory and the study of complex systems.

5. Is Tîny-tîm's Theorem widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, Tîny-tîm's Theorem is widely accepted and has been extensively studied and utilized by scientists in various disciplines. However, there are ongoing debates and advancements in the understanding and application of the theorem.