1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tiny wind generator

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    For demonstration purposes I m trying to assemble a generator consisting of a coil swinging thru a permanent magnetic field.
    The coil should hang from a small windflap and should be able to temporarily light up an LED.

Currently I am concerning myself with the design of the windflap which can be thought of as a pendulum of certain length and a certain mass (eg. the material of the flap + the attached coil). This flap should be moved by the wind.

For the generator part I would need a short pendulum to achieve the quick flux change necessary to develop a useful voltage (Faraday's law).

For the wind to move the flap I think I would want a long flap to offer enough leverage to the wind to move the flap.

Since these two consideration, if right, are contradictory I would hope for some input to be able to build a test set-up without too much experimentation.

Thanks Uwe

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted