Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tiny wind generator

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    For demonstration purposes I m trying to assemble a generator consisting of a coil swinging thru a permanent magnetic field.
    The coil should hang from a small windflap and should be able to temporarily light up an LED.

Currently I am concerning myself with the design of the windflap which can be thought of as a pendulum of certain length and a certain mass (eg. the material of the flap + the attached coil). This flap should be moved by the wind.

For the generator part I would need a short pendulum to achieve the quick flux change necessary to develop a useful voltage (Faraday's law).

For the wind to move the flap I think I would want a long flap to offer enough leverage to the wind to move the flap.

Since these two consideration, if right, are contradictory I would hope for some input to be able to build a test set-up without too much experimentation.

Thanks Uwe
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted