1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TiO2 spin coating

1. Jul 4, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone!
    I'm doing some research on spin coating, my precursor is TiCl4 and I mix it with ethanol, but I have cracks on my films, can anyone help me?
    The reaction is:
    Ticl4+ ethanol ---> TiO2 + HCl +....
    What effects does the pH and the type of alcohol used have? How can I change the viscosity ? Can anyone tell me what happens chemically in this reaction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is it a Ti-based substrate which you are coating? What is the temperature and pressure of the process?

Surface tension (wettability) of the solution could be a factor. Have you looked at what other people have done regarding chemical deposition of TiO2 films.

What is the water content of the ethanol? One might be getting TiCl4 + 2 H2O -> TiO2 + 4 HCl and perhaps there are some intermediates that interfere with the precipitation process and hence the cracking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?