Tipler & Mosca remark on pg 120

• I
  • Thread starter walking
  • Start date
In summary: I agree in the sense that the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction assumes it is independent of the mass. In practice, that may be true or it may not. That page does not in any way demonstrate that a mass-independent coefficient of friction is to be expected. In fact, the more you think about it the more likely it seems that the coefficient of friction would depend on the mass.
walking
On page 120 of Tipler & Mosca 5th edition there is a worked example involving calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction of a situation. The authors then basically remark on why the final answer doesn't depend on the mass and why the mass cancels, adding at the end that "the net result is that the mass has no effect".

I understand this remark, but what I am a bit puzzled about is why it was necessary. Isn't it already clear by definition that ##\mu_k## doesn't depend on the mass? It only depends on the materials of the objects. On page 118 of the same book when defining ##\mu_k## it says that it depends only on the nature of the surfaces in contact.

Maybe their remark contains a useful idea which I am not seeing? I have attached the relevant worked example + remark.

Attachments

• tipler remark.png
    tipler remark.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 225
Physics news on Phys.org
walking said:
I understand this remark, but what I am a bit puzzled about is why it was necessary. Isn't it already clear ...
I know that when I wrote a textbook I often included comments about things that were already clear. It turns out that things that are already clear for some readers are not clear to others, so such unnecessary comments can be highly beneficial.

Dale said:
I know that when I wrote a textbook I often included comments about things that were already clear. It turns out that things that are already clear for some readers are not clear to others, so such unnecessary comments can be highly beneficial.
The reason I would prefer such remarks not to be included is because the authors did not refer at all to the basic reason of why mass is not relevant: because the coefficient of kinetic friction only depends on the nature of the surfaces. In my opinion, not adding this to the remark makes the remark confusing and multiplies notions within the beginner's mind, rather than clarifying things. The beginner ends up thinking there are many things at play when in fact they are all simply a result of a much more basic reason. That is just my opinion though because personally I don't like having to repeatedly take lots of things that look different and reduce them in my mind to one thing. I would prefer if the authors did that and I could just read the book without having to use my brain power to keep spotting equivalences.

walking said:
I could just read the book without having to use my brain power

This is unlikely to be an effective strategy to learn physics.

walking said:
The reason I would prefer such remarks not to be included is because the authors did not refer at all to the basic reason of why mass is not relevant: because the coefficient of kinetic friction only depends on the nature of the surfaces. In my opinion, not adding this to the remark makes the remark confusing and multiplies notions within the beginner's mind, rather than clarifying things. The beginner ends up thinking there are many things at play when in fact they are all simply a result of a much more basic reason. That is just my opinion though because personally I don't like having to repeatedly take lots of things that look different and reduce them in my mind to one thing. I would prefer if the authors did that and I could just read the book without having to use my brain power to keep spotting equivalences.

I agree in the sense that the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction assumes it is independent of the mass. In practice, that may be true or it may not. That page does not in any way demonstrate that a mass-independent coefficient of friction is to be expected. In fact, the more you think about it the more likely it seems that the coefficient of friction would depend on the mass.

walking said:
The reason I would prefer such remarks not to be included is ...
Your complaint here is simply a matter of style and personal preference. Every author will have a different style. If you don’t like this one then pick a different textbook or write your own with a style you prefer.

Likes walking

What is the significance of Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120?

Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120 is significant because it addresses the concept of the Second Law of Thermodynamics and its implications for the universe. They argue that the Second Law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, is evidence for the eventual heat death of the universe.

How does Tipler & Mosca's remark relate to the concept of entropy?

Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120 relates to the concept of entropy because they use the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which is based on the concept of entropy, to support their argument about the eventual heat death of the universe. They suggest that the increasing entropy of the universe will lead to a state of maximum entropy, or maximum disorder, which they equate with the heat death of the universe.

What is the main argument of Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120?

The main argument of Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120 is that the Second Law of Thermodynamics supports the idea that the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, or heat death. They use this argument to suggest that the universe has a finite lifespan and will eventually come to an end.

Do other scientists agree with Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120?

There is some debate among scientists about Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120. While some agree with their argument about the eventual heat death of the universe, others argue that the concept of entropy is not enough to make such a prediction. Some also suggest that new discoveries and advancements in science could potentially change our understanding of the universe's fate.

How does Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120 impact current scientific research?

Tipler & Mosca's remark on page 120 has sparked further research and discussion about the concept of entropy and its implications for the universe. Some scientists are exploring alternative theories and potential solutions to the problem of the eventual heat death of the universe. Others are using this concept to inform their research in fields such as cosmology and theoretical physics.