Tips for information technology engineering (IT engineer)

In summary, the speaker applied to universities one month ago with the intention of switching their major from history to IT engineering. They waited anxiously for the admissions results and were worried about their exam score. However, they were accepted into the IT engineering program and are now planning to self-study more about physics and math. They are concerned about potential gaps in their knowledge, but have found success in self-studying in the past. The speaker suggests finding a course or online resources specifically tailored to the physics and math required for IT engineering, and recommends seeking additional support if needed.
late347
I had applied one month ago into some universities, with the aim of switching my university major. (I studied history). I went to the entrance exams for computer science and engineering oriented fields, and waited anxiously for 1 month.

I was not sure whether or not my entrance exam score was good enough... I had a nagging feeling that the exam did not go so well...I had been waiting anxiously for the admissions results for over 4 weeks.

But my score was good enough!. Today I was accepted into IT engineering program (bachelor of engineering). I live in Finland mind you... My test results were good enough to be accepted.So it seems therefore that I am able to switch majors effectively at this point and start information technology studies in the fall 2016.

And on top of that tomorrow is my birthday and I will eat cake and play tennis and go kayaking and go swimming.:biggrin:What I was actually wondering about was that I want to self-study more about physics and math. I would need something that is more related towards information technology engineering for physics and math, because those seem to be the most relevant fields for my area of applied technology(?)
I am a little bit worried about that kind of gap in my knowledge.

The way that I got admitted into the university of applied sciences in the first place, was by self-studying math and physics for the entrance exam. I did not study high school physics or chemistry very much at all back in high school. I did study mathematics a long time ago in high school. I was maybe slightly below average or average back in the day in mathematics. On the positive side, it seems I am not totally bad or dumb in math because I was accepted afterall.:cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to find a course book or online course that is specifically tailored to the kind of physics and math required for IT engineering. That way, you can learn the topics you need to know in order to excel in your studies and bridge any gaps in your knowledge. Additionally, if you are worried about your ability to self-study, you may want to consider supplementing your learning with tutoring or finding a study group that could help you with the more difficult concepts. Good luck!

1. What is the role of an IT engineer?

An IT engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining information technology systems and infrastructure. They are also involved in troubleshooting and providing technical support for various hardware, software, and network issues.

2. What skills are required to become an IT engineer?

To become a successful IT engineer, one should have a strong foundation in computer science, programming, and mathematics. They should also possess problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Knowledge of various operating systems, programming languages, and networking concepts is also essential.

3. What are the job prospects for IT engineers?

The job prospects for IT engineers are highly promising, with a projected growth rate of 10% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. IT engineers are in demand in various industries, including finance, healthcare, and technology, with opportunities for career advancement and high salaries.

4. How can I stay updated with the latest technology as an IT engineer?

As an IT engineer, it is crucial to constantly update your skills and knowledge in the ever-evolving field of technology. You can do so by attending conferences, workshops, and online courses. Staying engaged with online communities and following industry experts on social media can also help you stay updated.

5. What are some tips for excelling as an IT engineer?

To excel as an IT engineer, it is essential to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies. Building a strong foundation in the basics, staying organized, and being a good team player are also important. Developing problem-solving skills and being able to communicate technical concepts effectively are also key to success in this field.