Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for Posting Tech Help Questions

1. Sep 4, 2003 #1
    I just wanted to post a tip to those who are asking for computer help, if you are able, please try to post as much detail about your computer as you are able to. I've noticed in a lot of threads the information isn't provided and that makes the questions much harder to answer, here is a list of some information that is extreamly helpful:

1. The Operating System you are running (i.e. Windows 98, Windows XP etc.)

2. What type of Processor you have and what speed it is (i.e. AMD Athlon 1300 Mhz, or Pentium II 300 Mhz, etc.)

3. More detailed information on the offending system, for instance, if the hard drive is failing, some information on the hard drive is very helpful, if the internet is the problem, it is very important to know the type of connection you are using (i.e. Cable, DSL, Modom, etc.)

4. Any background information is very useful, for instance, what you were doing when you first encountered the problem, any other interesting behavior except for the offending problem, what you have tried to do and what the results were etc.

Hopefully everybody found this information helpful.

Moderators: If you think this is useful information, please consider stickying it.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted