Tips for Effective Self-Teaching from Textbooks in Graduate School

In summary, the speaker confesses to having been able to get through their undergraduate degree without reading a Physics textbook cover to cover. They now feel unprepared for their upcoming graduate program and are struggling with self-teaching from textbooks. They ask for tips on this learning style and mention that they believe focusing on problem-solving is more important for qualifying exams than reading textbooks.
wotanub
This may sound weird if you can't relate. So I managed to squeak through my entire undergrad career and get accepted to a "top 10" PhD program without ever actually reading a Physics textbook cover to cover.

I basically just cherry-picked the topics I needed to do problems sets and skipped the rest. Now I'm ready for grad school in the Fall, but quals have got me spooked. How am I supposed to pass if I've never been through the whole Griffiths? (neither one) So I set out to try and read some textbooks to get/stay sharp, but I feel like the words are bouncing off my eyes --like I'm not learning anything. It was so easy with an instructor to explain it before reading it, but now it's like I get stuck on one page for half an hour because I'm having trouble focusing ("wait, what did I just read again?")

Surely someone knows the feeling I'm talking about. All this just to ask... does anyone who has experienced this focus problem have any tips on self-teaching from a book? I'm not well suited to this learning style., and it doesn't help that some of these textbooks are pretty dry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that most people read their textbooks cover to cover. I can think of maybe 2 that I have finished in my lifetime, and they were both pretty thin. For the rest, I dip into them as needed. In any case, studying for qualifying exams is more about doing problems (especially those on old qualifying exams) than about reading books cover to cover. Read the material as needed in order to accomplish this.

I didn't work much in UG, but grad school is different.
Concentrate on your courses, take notes and learn from your teachers.
You can be selective in reading a textbook.
Concentrate on problems, especially those in the course.
Don't spend too much time on Jackson's problems.

1. What are some effective tips for reading textbooks?

Some effective tips for reading textbooks include skimming the material before diving in, taking notes while reading, breaking up reading sessions into smaller chunks, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections.

2. How can I improve my comprehension while reading textbooks?

To improve comprehension while reading textbooks, try summarizing each paragraph or section in your own words, making connections to prior knowledge, and using visual aids such as diagrams or infographics to help understand complex concepts.

3. Is it necessary to read every word in a textbook?

Not necessarily. Skimming and selectively reading sections that are most relevant or important can help save time and improve understanding. However, it is important to read carefully and thoroughly when encountering new or challenging material.

4. How can I stay motivated while reading textbooks?

Setting specific goals, taking breaks, and finding a comfortable and distraction-free environment can help with motivation while reading textbooks. Additionally, try to find personal connections and relevance to the material to stay engaged.

5. How can I effectively take notes while reading textbooks?

Effective note-taking while reading textbooks involves writing down key points, definitions, and examples, as well as summarizing main ideas and making connections between different sections. Using a note-taking system such as Cornell Notes can also help with organization and retention of information.