1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for thesis presentation

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey PF!, i don't know if you guys remember but i was asking a while ago for a possible investigation topic for a thesis. Well guess what, it's done and is on pavement engineering.

Now i need some tips i could use to do a well presentation. Maybe some tricks to keep the jurors happy, like some really sticky gum to make sure they keep their mouths shut :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep your charts uncluttered, they need to be simple and straightforward.

My suggestion to you is to go to your advisor with an outline of your talk. Let them help you in the preperation of it becuse I have seen many times where the student wil have 2-3 times the charts necessary for a good talk and will end up spending alot of time working them only to not have them presented.

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4
    Taking the risk of mentioning trivialities: Practice your presentation. Depending on your presentation skills, give the talk at least 1-3 times in front of some audience (ideally at least once in front of people actually knowing something about the topic -> your supervisor).

6. Aug 18, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a classic: "Suggestions For Giving Talks" http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9703019

7. Aug 18, 2007 #6
    Yes! Excellent advice. Also, don't put exactly what you're saying on your slides. I've seen people basically just read from their slides. They're meant to help clarify/illustrate what you're talking about, not provide a script.

Good luck!

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey!, good news!, the thesis defense went ok!. Currently, i'm awaiting the graduation celebrations and preparing for grad school, thanks everyone for the advice. It's good to have finished all the program coursework and get the degree (Bsc Civil Engineering).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?