Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips going rate is supposed to be 15-20%.

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just heard that now the going rate is supposed to be 15-20%.

Okay, now why does the percentage keep going up? For a long time, 10% was the standard. Then it went up to 15%. Now 20%??? :surprised Give me a break; I'll take it "to go". :tongue:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2
    I hear that! Those actors will get only 10% from me, and that is only if they are damn good!

4. Jun 29, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

my family and I will give tips at 20% or more for good service

5. Jun 29, 2005 #4
    Usual rule I've heard is (in restaurants) 10% tip for bad service, 15-17% for average to slightly above, and 20% for amazing service.

6. Jun 29, 2005 #5
    at most places in town, they are lucky their tip isn't "stay in school"

7. Jun 29, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

it's better that 'be cool, stay in school' I've heard that too many times. I bet the people who came up with that got their ***** kicked

8. Jun 29, 2005 #7
    What kills me is, people expecting a large tip at a buffet, or when the tip is included in the bill {20%} at the "fine dining steak house". Doesn't matter if the food/service was good or not.
    Now the poor pizza boy... they charge me 4 dollars to bring a pizza 3 blocks to my house, and the kid sticks out his hand waiting for a tip. I explain to him, that it took him 5 mins to get to my house, and that the 4 dollar fee is good enough. Now I think next time he gonna spit in my pizza :yuck:

9. Jun 29, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, and I wonder who really gets the four bucks.

I don't mind when the bill is twenty bucks...I almost never tip less than four or five dollars for a meal, but when you travel this can really add up for more expensive meals and services.

10. Jun 29, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

You dont know when your in clover you guys, gordon benit, fish and chips
    costs about 10 bucks in the uk, and if you go out for a meal the average
    per person is twenty bucks, so dont be such skin flints, and spread your
    bucks around a bit.

11. Jun 29, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why should I pay someone $20 for five minute worth of work? Its not about being cheap. Its about getting ripped off if you ask me. This is more than it cost for the services of a skilled craftsman.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  12. Jun 29, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why did you quote me when I just said that I never tip less than four or five dollars?

13. Jun 29, 2005 #12

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, you've got a point there. I think the problem is in tying the tip to the size of the bill. After all, the wait(er)(ress), does about the same service for you whether you ordered the $10 burger plate or the $50 dollar special.

Maybe the custom needs to be changed to a standard tip per person/order as the baseline.

14. Jun 29, 2005 #13

jma2001

Gold Member

The theory is that waiters who work in fancy restaurants in big cities (where the price per plate is much higher) are under more stress, and deserve higher tips, as compared with waiters who work inexpensive suburban diners.

I usually leave 20% myself, and never less than three dollars, even if I only ordered breakfast for $7.50. I'd rather put down the extra dollar and get on their good side, especially if I plan to eat there regularly.

15. Jun 29, 2005 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think Wolram's point was that in the US, at least we usually have the option to tip and how much. Overseas, the tip is already added to the price you pay, so you "tip" no matter how good or bad the service is, you have no choice.

16. Jun 29, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't tip unless the service is better than good. Unless a waiter/waitress goes out of their way to do something special for you (or she's fit :smile:), they're just doing their jobs, I don't see why they should be tipped! I've never been tipped just for doing my job.

17. Jun 29, 2005 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here in the US, a lot of waiters and waitresses get no pay, or extremely little, they work ONLY for tips.

18. Jun 29, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ohh, okay. Even over here, you often get "service not included" put on the bill, but the waiters still get paid. I geddit now. I think I prefer your way, there's more chance that they'll be pleasant and efficient (and fit!).

19. Jun 29, 2005 #18
    A 15-20% tip for good service has been the norm for some years now. I agree with posts above regarding buffets (only the bus person needs a small tip) or bartenders when no food is ordered. Technically you only need to tip on the subtotal (before tax).

On the other hand, wait staff earn below minimum wage for their hourly pay, and now must claim a minimum amount of tips in their tax filing. It is hard work and many people are rude and don't tip at all. If it is a slow night (or as someone said, the dollar amount is low) the wait staff go home with very little to show for the shift they were required to work. Often they are students working though college, or even elderly women because Social Security isn't enough.

20. Jun 29, 2005 #19
    Like 2Cents said they get paid below minimum wage depending on the restraunt. A friend of mine worked at a Denny's. There they pay minimum then add up all the tickets for the tables you waited and deduct a certain percentage of the total from your paycheck assuming that you recieved that money from the customers in the form of a tip. I'm not sure which restraunts do this or don't though. I don't think that they should do it either.

Personally I don't go out to eat often and when I do I tip rather well. Usually at the very least 20%. At bars I always tip well. When you're in a crowded bar and you have trouble getting up to the bar to get a drink it helps get the barkeeps attention more quickly if you tip him well.
    Ofcourse if I get terrible service I tip little to nothing.
    ----edit----
    Ironically the only times I have had a tip added to my bill where at restraunts where I recieved terrible service. Had I been on my own I may have raised hell and told them to remove it from the bill. If you're going to make me pay a tip you better damn well be sure I'm getting good service.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  21. Jun 29, 2005 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That is absolutely correct...in some US states, servers can make below the federal minimum wage, thus the tips is what they depend on to pay their bills.

Not sure how the pizza place works where my husband is currently employed by, but those tips go to the gas he uses since it is our car that is used to deliver pizzas. He is working the pizza job as a second source of income till our little one arrives.

It used to be that I thought it was ridiculous to tip at all, but after being enlightened by what they go through (at least good servers), I appreciate them much more. We generally tip about 20% as long as the service is adequate, less if not. If you can afford to go out to eat, figure on affording a tip as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?