Tips going rate is supposed to be 15-20%.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate Tips
In summary: I don't leave anything.In summary, the going rate for a 20% tip is now supposed to be 15-20%. This has been going on for some time, and some people are getting upset because the percentage keeps going up.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just heard that now the going rate is supposed to be 15-20%.

Okay, now why does the percentage keep going up? For a long time, 10% was the standard. Then it went up to 15%. Now 20%? Give me a break; I'll take it "to go". :tongue:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hear that! Those actors will get only 10% from me, and that is only if they are damn good!

my family and I will give tips at 20% or more for good service

Usual rule I've heard is (in restaurants) 10% tip for bad service, 15-17% for average to slightly above, and 20% for amazing service.

at most places in town, they are lucky their tip isn't "stay in school"

it's better that 'be cool, stay in school' I've heard that too many times. I bet the people who came up with that got their ***** kicked

What kills me is, people expecting a large tip at a buffet, or when the tip is included in the bill {20%} at the "fine dining steak house". Doesn't matter if the food/service was good or not.
Now the poor pizza boy... they charge me 4 dollars to bring a pizza 3 blocks to my house, and the kid sticks out his hand waiting for a tip. I explain to him, that it took him 5 mins to get to my house, and that the 4 dollar fee is good enough. Now I think next time he going to spit in my pizza :yuck:

Yes, and I wonder who really gets the four bucks.

I don't mind when the bill is twenty bucks...I almost never tip less than four or five dollars for a meal, but when you travel this can really add up for more expensive meals and services.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, and I wonder who really gets the four bucks.

I don't mind when the bill is twenty bucks...I almost never tip less than four or five dollars for a meal, but when you travel this can really add up for more expensive meals and services.

You don't know when your in clover you guys, gordon benit, fish and chips
costs about 10 bucks in the uk, and if you go out for a meal the average
per person is twenty bucks, so don't be such skin flints, and spread your
bucks around a bit.

Why should I pay someone $20 for five minute worth of work? Its not about being cheap. Its about getting ripped off if you ask me. This is more than it cost for the services of a skilled craftsman.

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
You don't know when your in clover you guys, gordon benit, fish and chips
costs about 10 bucks in the uk, and if you go out for a meal the average
per person is twenty bucks, so don't be such skin flints, and spread your
bucks around a bit.

Why did you quote me when I just said that I never tip less than four or five dollars?

Ivan Seeking said:
Why should I pay someone $20 for five minute worth of work? Its not about being cheap. Its about getting ripped off if you ask me. This is more than it cost for the services of a skilled craftsman.

You know, you've got a point there. I think the problem is in tying the tip to the size of the bill. After all, the wait(er)(ress), does about the same service for you whether you ordered the $10 burger plate or the $50 dollar special.

Maybe the custom needs to be changed to a standard tip per person/order as the baseline.

Janus said:
You know, you've got a point there. I think the problem is in tying the tip to the size of the bill. After all, the wait(er)(ress), does about the same service for you whether you ordered the $10 burger plate or the $50 dollar special.

Maybe the custom needs to be changed to a standard tip per person/order as the baseline.
The theory is that waiters who work in fancy restaurants in big cities (where the price per plate is much higher) are under more stress, and deserve higher tips, as compared with waiters who work inexpensive suburban diners.

I usually leave 20% myself, and never less than three dollars, even if I only ordered breakfast for $7.50. I'd rather put down the extra dollar and get on their good side, especially if I plan to eat there regularly.

I think Wolram's point was that in the US, at least we usually have the option to tip and how much. Overseas, the tip is already added to the price you pay, so you "tip" no matter how good or bad the service is, you have no choice.

I don't tip unless the service is better than good. Unless a waiter/waitress goes out of their way to do something special for you (or she's fit :smile:), they're just doing their jobs, I don't see why they should be tipped! I've never been tipped just for doing my job.

brewnog said:
I don't tip unless the service is better than good. Unless a waiter/waitress goes out of their way to do something special for you (or she's fit :smile:), they're just doing their jobs, I don't see why they should be tipped! I've never been tipped just for doing my job.
Here in the US, a lot of waiters and waitresses get no pay, or extremely little, they work ONLY for tips.

Evo said:
Here in the US, a lot of waiters and waitresses get no pay, they work ONLY for tips.

Ohh, okay. Even over here, you often get "service not included" put on the bill, but the waiters still get paid. I geddit now. I think I prefer your way, there's more chance that they'll be pleasant and efficient (and fit!).

A 15-20% tip for good service has been the norm for some years now. I agree with posts above regarding buffets (only the bus person needs a small tip) or bartenders when no food is ordered. Technically you only need to tip on the subtotal (before tax).

On the other hand, wait staff earn below minimum wage for their hourly pay, and now must claim a minimum amount of tips in their tax filing. It is hard work and many people are rude and don't tip at all. If it is a slow night (or as someone said, the dollar amount is low) the wait staff go home with very little to show for the shift they were required to work. Often they are students working though college, or even elderly women because Social Security isn't enough.

Like 2Cents said they get paid below minimum wage depending on the restraunt. A friend of mine worked at a Denny's. There they pay minimum then add up all the tickets for the tables you waited and deduct a certain percentage of the total from your paycheck assuming that you received that money from the customers in the form of a tip. I'm not sure which restraunts do this or don't though. I don't think that they should do it either.

Personally I don't go out to eat often and when I do I tip rather well. Usually at the very least 20%. At bars I always tip well. When you're in a crowded bar and you have trouble getting up to the bar to get a drink it helps get the barkeeps attention more quickly if you tip him well.
Ofcourse if I get terrible service I tip little to nothing.
----edit----
Ironically the only times I have had a tip added to my bill where at restraunts where I received terrible service. Had I been on my own I may have raised hell and told them to remove it from the bill. If you're going to make me pay a tip you better damn well be sure I'm getting good service.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Here in the US, a lot of waiters and waitresses get no pay, or extremely little, they work ONLY for tips.

That is absolutely correct...in some US states, servers can make below the federal minimum wage, thus the tips is what they depend on to pay their bills.

Now the poor pizza boy... they charge me 4 dollars to bring a pizza 3 blocks to my house, and the kid sticks out his hand waiting for a tip. I explain to him, that it took him 5 mins to get to my house, and that the 4 dollar fee is good enough. Now I think next time he going to spit in my pizza

Not sure how the pizza place works where my husband is currently employed by, but those tips go to the gas he uses since it is our car that is used to deliver pizzas. He is working the pizza job as a second source of income till our little one arrives.

It used to be that I thought it was ridiculous to tip at all, but after being enlightened by what they go through (at least good servers), I appreciate them much more. We generally tip about 20% as long as the service is adequate, less if not. If you can afford to go out to eat, figure on affording a tip as well.

Yes, I remember when they passed that below minimum wage exception. That was a very rotten deal; esp considering that we are talking about people making minimum wage, not pricy restaurant workers who can rake in a hundred bucks an hour. Instead of including the real price for the food and services, the owners ditch the cost and pass the risk on the employee, who now depends on the generosity of strangers. That's not capitalism, that's charity. Tips are supposed to be just that; not a substitute wage. But, really, that's why I usually tip more like 25-30% for the small bills at low priced restaurants.

Last edited:
speaking of tipping, i was watching a news program the other day on it. it was about how so many places now expect you to tip. you really can't go many places without tipping. lots of stores have tip jars and stuff... it does get really riddiculous. and it sucks, because tipping traditionally was for an exceptional job or something, and now we're expected to tip every joe-somebody, just for doing their regular job. and at most of these places, they're employees are paid plenty, (unlike the waitstaff at restaurants,) and tips aren't even accounted for in taxes. but you still look like an ass if you don't put a few coins in their tip jar.

as for myself, i really don't like to go out much, just because too often you get really crummy service. its no fun going someplace and just having a mediocre waitress. i think I'm a generally low tipper, but when i get someone really good, I'm usually very very generous. I've tipped more than my bill on occaision, (usually that's when I've just ordered some dessert or something and the waiter was really awesome.) i have friends who're waitresses though, so i definately am sympathetic to a degree.

oh, and i worked at a restaurant a while, and the waitresses there really sucked. but they got their paycheck every two weeks, and sometimes they'd only get a few cents. they got huge time tips there though... even though they sucked... it amazes me... the rich people who come to our little small towns, and pay the backwood hicks here so much for doing nothing... just because its cute that they have no clue about high society. one waitress came into the kitchen once and asked "what the hell is an expresso?" i was like... wow... then she said, the people she was waiting on thought it was funny she didn't know, and tipped her more! what the H is that?!?

ok, that's enough ranting eh..

jma2001 said:
The theory is that waiters who work in fancy restaurants in big cities (where the price per plate is much higher) are under more stress, and deserve higher tips, as compared with waiters who work inexpensive suburban diners.
Of course the problem with this idea is that in a fancy restaurant, they tend to take their time, customers are pretty relaxed and don't mind if it takes a minute or two extra for the next course to come to the table, etc. In the diner, rapid turnover is the key, and people all want them there the moment they need them, even if they are the only waiter/waitress in the entire place.

I tend to tip around 20% if the service is good. If it's lousy, I know people say you should still tip 10%, but I don't see the need to tip at all if the service is terrible; they can count themselves lucky I didn't demand the meal be comped.

Hypatia, you pay $4 for delivery? :eek: I would never get delivery if they charged for it, and especially not $4. I've seen a few places around here try that, and I'll just get carry out from them. A few times I've coughed up a $1 delivery fee when a place wanted an order of a certain size to deliver for free and I just really didn't want to order that much food and didn't want to run out for it. If it's free delivery, I tip the driver a buck or two if it arrives when they say it will; if it's late, no tip. But if they charge for delivery, then I have to assume they do that so they can pay their drivers well, so they don't need to work for tips; why else would they need to charge for delivery?

Gale said:
speaking of tipping, i was watching a news program the other day on it. it was about how so many places now expect you to tip. you really can't go many places without tipping. lots of stores have tip jars and stuff... it does get really riddiculous. and it sucks, because tipping traditionally was for an exceptional job or something, and now we're expected to tip every joe-somebody, just for doing their regular job. and at most of these places, they're employees are paid plenty, (unlike the waitstaff at restaurants,) and tips aren't even accounted for in taxes. but you still look like an ass if you don't put a few coins in their tip jar.
Most of those places I don't usually tip. If it's a coffee house I usually tip a buck, it's like a lesser version of a bar to me. In a fast food type place I usually don't unless they are really nice and actually do more than punch something into a register like the chinese food place next to my work.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Most of those places I don't usually tip. If it's a coffee house I usually tip a buck, it's like a lesser version of a bar to me. In a fast food type place I usually don't unless they are really nice and actually do more than punch something into a register like the chinese food place next to my work.

In the coffee shop, I just tip whatever coins I get back in change if it's to-go (assuming they actually are making something for me, not just pouring a plain cup of coffee...I don't tip for regular coffee to go), unless I'm actually going to sit there for a while, then I leave at least $1 tip, more if I get more than just a drink.

I used to work at a coffee house so I feel a kinship there lol.

I think restaurant people must make a fortune! But of course, I am thinking about how my familiy works. Its practically heracy to not leave at least 2x sales tax even for bad service. I don't understand being sorry for restaurant workers (however i feel there's no justification for going below MW) based on my viewpoint.

Do the majority of people just not tip much? I mean... i think that its insane not to tip ... but do other people?

Most tipping positions are paid significantly less than non-tip positions BECAUSE they're expected to be tipped generously. I tip 20% if I like the waiter/ress, if they do a mediocre job ill give 10, and if they did a mediocre job cause theyre really busy then I'll give them 15.

*raises hand*

Bad tipper! right here! I've even dined and dashed... although i felt sort of bad when i realized it comes out of the waitresses salary. she sucked though, so it wasn't a long lasting sort of guilt.

frankly, if you go into the service industry, you should be prepared to be friendly and nice to the people you want your wages from. if you suck... then no money... that's how it is. if you're not up for that, work in a factory or something where it doesn't matter. but you chose that job... so i don't have sympathy really.

I tip excellent though when someone deserves it. but generally, service isn't very exceptional.

Pengwuino said:
Do the majority of people just not tip much? I mean... i think that its insane not to tip ... but do other people?
I don't know about a majority, but there sure are stingy people around. My mom never tips more than 10%, and sometimes only 5%. If it's not a regular sit-down restaurant, she might not tip at all, or just leave $1-2 if it's a diner type place, no matter how much she ordered. On the rare occassions I go out with her, I slip the extra tip on the table when she isn't looking (otherwise she tells me I shouldn't be wasting my money), or I just try to pay the bill myself and leave her out of the tipping decision entirely.

Pengwuino said:
When I worked at the coffee house I got cheap skates all the time. Most people don't tip becuase it's just coffee with a few people here and there dropping in the 15-20 cents that they got for change. Alot of people will come in and order 3-5 drinks at four or five dollars a piece along with pasteries and what not and leave no tip what so ever. I had one lady who came in every day and would get just a small cup of coffee. The thing was that she would put us through hell just for her one small cup of joe. It had to have been brewed within the last ten minutes or she wanted us to brew a new pot just so her cup would be fresh. Then if the creamers and milk weren't ice cold she would ask for a cup with ice in it to pour the cream over before adding it to her coffee and then leave the cup sitting out on the counter with creamer spilt on the counter RIGHT NEXT To a pile of napkins and the hole in the counter where you throw your trash. She never tipped a penny even if I had everything she wanted just the way she wanted it waiting for her when she got to the counter.
ummmm.. I'll shut up now. :redface:

I was a server when I was 16. We were paid $2.15 an hour (this was only 6 years ago) and certainly relied on tips. Getting stiffed was rare. Most people were reasonable, some were generous. It usually averaged out to a little over $2 per table, and you would serve about 20 tables on a typical night. So no one where I worked was getting rich. If people actually tipped 20%, we probably would have averaged $4-6 per table. The largest tip I ever earned was $80 - but it was from a party of 40. There's also side work to do, so you aren't earning tips the whole time you're working.
I tip according to my minimums or the amount of time and work, not the amount of the bill. I tip for delivery and coffee to go too, but just because I know they'll appreciate it, not so much because I think they've earned it. I've noticed that people who have worked for tips usually tip well.

1. What is the meaning of the "tips going rate"?

The "tips going rate" refers to the customary or expected amount of gratuity that is given to service workers, such as waiters, bartenders, and hairdressers, in addition to the cost of their services.

2. Why is the tips going rate typically 15-20%?

This percentage is considered the standard or average amount for gratuity in many industries, and is often based on the level of service provided. It is also a way for customers to show their appreciation for good service.

3. Are there any situations where the tips going rate may be higher or lower?

Yes, the tips going rate may vary depending on factors such as the type of establishment, the location, and the quality of service. For example, in a high-end restaurant, the tips going rate may be closer to 20%, while in a more casual setting it may be closer to 15%.

4. Is it mandatory to follow the tips going rate?

No, it is not mandatory to follow the tips going rate. However, it is considered good etiquette to leave a tip within this range, unless the service was exceptionally poor. You may also choose to leave a higher tip if you feel the service was exceptional.

5. Are there any other ways to show appreciation for good service besides tipping?

Yes, in addition to tipping, you can also show your appreciation by leaving a positive review, complimenting the service worker to their manager, or even simply saying "thank you" and expressing your satisfaction with the service. These gestures can go a long way in showing your appreciation for good service.