1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips/Methods for differentiating indexed equations

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I'm not quite sure how to differentiate indexed equations in a quick way, and I'm not sure that the way I use is correct. Does anyone have any tips/methods/resources that I could use to do these kind of operations.

By indexed equations I mean equations like
    [itex]\frac{\partial F^i}{\partial v_j}[/itex]
    and similar.

Below I have an example of a problem that requires this

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the Lagrangian
    [itex]L=-\frac{1}{4 \mu_0}F^{ab}F_{ab}[/itex]

derive Maxwell's equations

2. Relevant equations

[itex]F^{ab}=\partial^a A^b - \partial^b A^a[/itex]
    A is electromagnetic 4-potential
    Plus the Euler-Lagrange equations (E-L)

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the E-L equations

[itex]\partial_i \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_i A_j)}\right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial A_j}[/itex]

subbing in the definition of [itex]F^{ab}[/itex] into L gives

[itex]L = -\frac{1}{2\mu_0}(\partial_a A_b \partial^a A^b - \partial^b A^a \partial_a A_b)[/itex]

So how do I differentiate this expression with respect to [itex]\partial_i A_j[/itex] as required by the E-L equation?

My method has been to re-express [itex]\partial^a A^b[/itex] as [itex]\eta^{a \alpha} \eta^{b \beta}\partial_{\alpha} A_{\beta}[/itex] where eta is the minkowski metric tensor. After doing this I continue with the derivative assuming that
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_i A_j}\left(\partial_a A_b\right) = \delta^{i}_{a} \delta^{j}_{b}[/itex]

(Stopping here)
    Anyone have any better ways?

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?