What Can I Do to Improve My Chances of Getting Into Harvey Mudd?

• Thread starter Tcanch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who wants to get into Harvey Mudd for pure mathematics. They are currently enrolled in challenging classes and plan to take more advanced courses and independent learning opportunities to improve their chances of acceptance. They are also seeking advice on how to make their independent learning an advantage and what else they can do to increase their chances of getting into the school. The speaker also mentions reaching out to a professor at Harvey Mudd for advice and participating in math competitions to showcase their skills.
Tcanch
Oops, accidentally hit submit thread, I meant to say Harvey Mudd in the title

Hi, I'm a sophomore in high school right now and I want to get into the pure maths. In particular I'm wanting to get into and go to Harvey Mudd, however, I do know that its quite challenging to get into the school and am kinda lost as to what I should do to improve my chances of getting accepted when I do apply.

I'm currently enrolled in Honors Precalc, Chemistry, Honors English 10, Honors World History, Spanish 2, and Business Marketing/economics. And I am planning to take AP Calculous AB, AP Chemistry, AP US History, Honors English 11, Honors Spanish 3, and Physics next year.

I am also taking courses on Edx like the Introduction to Probability course, and plan to take the classical mechanics review, but how could I make my independent learning an advantage in my application. And in general, what else should I do to help increase my chances of getting into the school while also actually learning something helpful?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could connect up with a prof there in mathematics. He could give you some advice on the kinds of mathematics they teach and what each prof specializes in.

I did that many years ago with a high school project on the lunar orbit and simulating it with electric potential in a pool of water and comparing it to a computational model I developed and programmed with the help of my uncle (okay he had the access and he had the know how and knocked the program in like 15 minutes in Fortran).

Some colleges have open house days where anyone can walk in and listen to a seminar. Also the math department may reach out to local high schools with seminars on various topics. From there you can meet up with a prof and start a dialog going via visits or via email. You have t be sincere and consistently persistent to get your foot in the door.

Great SAT scores will help, any papers you write showing your math skills help too. There are also some high school math competitions like the MAA competitions or local competitions similar to the college Putnam competitions that you could enter to get noticed and to add to your college application. Find a passion and explore it.

What are the admission requirements for Harvey?

The admission requirements for Harvey vary depending on the program you are applying for. Generally, applicants must have a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a personal essay, and standardized test scores (SAT or ACT).

What is the acceptance rate for Harvey?

The acceptance rate for Harvey varies each year, but it is typically around 50%. However, certain programs may have a higher or lower acceptance rate.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into Harvey?

To increase your chances of getting into Harvey, it is important to have a strong academic record, participate in extracurricular activities, and have a well-written personal essay. Additionally, showcasing your passion and interest for the program you are applying to can also make you stand out.

Does Harvey offer any financial aid or scholarships?

Yes, Harvey offers financial aid and scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need and/or academic excellence. Be sure to check the specific requirements and deadlines for each scholarship or financial aid program.

When should I start preparing to apply for Harvey?

It is recommended to start preparing for your application to Harvey at least a year in advance. This includes researching the program, working on your academic record, and gathering materials such as letters of recommendation and test scores.