Designing a Rotating Holder: Tips and Tricks

In summary: You don't need to take any precautions, just make sure the wiring is secure and that the motor doesn't get too hot.
lankan_ice_405
Hey,

I need to design somethign that rotates the holder drawn below, to a full 180 degrees and stops. And should be able to repeat that process as required. It should be also precise, that is, stop at the same place each time.

Any ideas on how to implement this? needs to be cheap and simple.

What kind of parts would I need and how would I put it together?

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 333
Engineering news on Phys.org
A stepper motor? Stepper motors are designed to turn a very specific amount within tolerances.

Ask around at an electronic surplus store. You may have to build some sort of controller.

a worm drive might be OK. wouldn't be fast, tho.

From your description, you should be able to just use a DC motor with hard stops and limit switches.

I'm thinking of going the stepper motor route,
and I already have a 16 series PIC , any tips ?
how would I do the circuitry for it and make it go 180 degrees exactly?

lankan_ice_405 said:
I'm thinking of going the stepper motor route,
and I already have a 16 series PIC , any tips ?
how would I do the circuitry for it and make it go 180 degrees exactly?

http://www.mastincrosbie.com/mark/electronics/pic/stepper.html"
http://websupport1.citytech.cuny.edu/Faculty/fzia/weblinks/Stepper%20Motor%20Tutorials%20and%20Driver%20Circuits.htm"
http://www.parex.org/weblog/archive/000049.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Since i need to connect more than 3 motors I'm thinking of making a few of my own controllers (4)
using this
http://www.aaroncake.net/Circuits/stepper.asp

If I went about that, all I would need to do is just connect teh STEP line to the pins of the PIC and when required to move 1 of all of the motors juts send the pulses thru the Pic, correct?

Is that diagram one that would produce a good controller for what I need to do?

Actually I've changed my mind and I'm going to go with a Stepper Motor controller chip instead of building the whole thing. (The Phillips SAA1027) It'll cost ~the same
So I'll need to have 4x this because I need to control 4 different motors seperately.

Any precautions or anything I should take?

n/m...

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a rotating holder?

The purpose of a rotating holder is to allow for easy and convenient access to various items without having to physically move them. It is commonly used in laboratories, workshops, and other settings where multiple tools or objects need to be accessed frequently.

2. How do I rotate the holder?

The method of rotating a holder will depend on the specific design and mechanism of the holder. Some holders may have a manual rotation feature, while others may require a motor or other external force. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and rotation.

3. What types of objects can be held in a rotating holder?

A rotating holder can be used to hold a variety of objects, such as test tubes, pipettes, tools, pens/pencils, and other small items. The size and shape of the holder's compartments will determine what types of objects can be stored.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a rotating holder?

It is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when using a rotating holder. This may include properly securing the holder to a stable surface, avoiding overloading the holder, and being cautious when rotating sharp or delicate objects. Always use caution and follow proper handling procedures to prevent accidents.

5. Can a rotating holder be customized?

Some rotating holders may have customizable features, such as adjustable compartments or the ability to add or remove dividers. However, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines before attempting to customize a rotating holder to ensure safe and proper use.