Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips on Rotating Holder

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    Hey,

I need to design somethign that rotates the holder drawn below, to a full 180 degrees and stops. And should be able to repeat that process as required. It should be also precise, that is, stop at the same place each time.

Any ideas on how to implement this? needs to be cheap and simple.

What kind of parts would I need and how would I put it together?

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A stepper motor? Stepper motors are designed to turn a very specific amount within tolerances.

Ask around at an electronic surplus store. You may have to build some sort of controller.

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    a worm drive might be OK. wouldn't be fast, tho.

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

From your description, you should be able to just use a DC motor with hard stops and limit switches.

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5
    I'm thinking of going the stepper motor route,
    and I already have a 16 series PIC , any tips ?
    how would I do the circuitry for it and make it go 180 degrees exactly?

7. Jan 16, 2009 #6
  8. Jan 17, 2009 #7
    Since i need to connect more than 3 motors I'm thinking of making a few of my own controllers (4)
    using this
    http://www.aaroncake.net/Circuits/stepper.asp

If I went about that, all I would need to do is just connect teh STEP line to the pins of the PIC and when required to move 1 of all of the motors juts send the pulses thru the Pic, correct?

Is that diagram one that would produce a good controller for what I need to do?

9. Jan 17, 2009 #8
    Actually I've changed my mind and I'm going to go with a Stepper Motor controller chip instead of building the whole thing. (The Phillips SAA1027) It'll cost ~the same
    So I'll need to have 4x this because I need to control 4 different motors seperately.

Any precautions or anything I should take?

10. Jan 17, 2009 #9
    n/m...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?