1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Tips on studying

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    I’m looking for tips, tips on studying, keeping good notes and anything that will help me do well on test/exams

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2
    For math tests....

1. Make sure you can do every homework problem and understand it. If not every problem then almost every single one. Sometimes there are one or two problems that are extra difficult and you won't understand and it's ok to not do them if time is an issue. Basically make sure you can do every type of problem. And don't just say to yourself, hey I can do that problem or type of problem, actually DO the problem.
    2. Get plenty of sleep
    3. Eat breakfast

4. Jan 29, 2005 #3
    For studying and note taking

1. Write everything down, even if you don't understand it. Later when you are studying come back and look it over and try to understand it. Also make sure to write everything down even if you DO understand it. Lots of professors emphasize the important stuff that will be on exams in class. So make sure you write everything down no matter how silly or no matter how incomprehensible it may be!

2. Read the book. This one is easier said than done. Sometimes reading the book seems redundant because the material is repeated. But when you actually sit down and read a book you get a better picture for the concepts and methods and I find that the material "stays with you" for a long time, even after you take the course. For example when I took calculus 2 I only read the book when we did series, and amazingly enough that is what I know best about calculus 2, all the series stuff we did. So read the book!

3. Do all the homework assignments, and the day before the test do as many as possible. Just sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and do all the problems.

This is how I study, I manage to do extremely well in my math courses, usually 100's on most exams, and all A's in my courses. I feel that not everyone studies like this, otherwise they would all get A's also. It works, goodluck, and sorry for the double post, i think i said the same thing twice, time to put down the coffee lol.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  5. Jan 29, 2005 #4
    I find that I get a whole lot more out of lectures if I am already familar with the material ahead of time. For math classes I like to read through the chapter, work the example problems and then try a few problems at the back of the chapter. Even if I don't understand everything in the book and or can't do any of the problems, I'll at least know what I need to pay closer attention to in class.

6. Jan 29, 2005 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1 - Sleep 7-8 hours a day!

2 - Eat a good breakfast. (Orange Juice or Milk with a nice snack.)

3 - Pay attention in classes.

When exams come, relax and go over a bit of everything and redo the areas you aren't so brilliant in.

7. Jan 29, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Regarding exams, there's a lot I and others already posted in this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=60370

For note taking, kdinser's suggestion of familiarizing yourself with the material ahead of the class is a good one. Skim the chapter quickly before going to lecture, and then read it more thoroughly after the lecture. Paying attention to the lecture is more important than scribbling down every detail without processing it. If you've skimmed the chapter ahead, you'll know what information you can skip writing and can just look up later, like definitions of terms. Too many students are so busy trying to frantically write down every word the lecturer says that they don't listen to understand, and find their notes then don't make any sense to them later. If you are worried about missing important details, tape the lecture to get those details later.

The good thing about paying attention is you'll quickly pick up on what was emphasized or repeated a few times, and that's very likely to show up on the exam. Leave large margins in your notebooks and try to take notes in an outline format to keep the organization of the lecture. Use the margins later to clarify details you look up or write questions you think of.

8. Jan 29, 2005 #7
    Hey also remember Roxy that if you study and this applies to anyone and everyone
    That if you fail and you studied hard you still learned something and tests are just tests they are just so arbatritry and imho pointless
    just my $0.02

9. Jan 30, 2005 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I totally agree.

Galois is famous for failing famous entrance exams. The funny part is... he knew more than the examiner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?