Tire stuck in mud - energy conservation

In summary: I assumed the height the mud left the tire is RThe maximum height the mud can reach is h_max=R+v^2/(2g)+gR^2/(2v^2). The height the mud leaves the tire is R. Without air resistance, the mud will travel in a parabolic path with the maximum height.
Daniokano
Rg. Without air resistance, show the maximum height snow can reach is h_max=R+v^2/(2g)+gR^2/(2v^2)
Solve using conservation of energy

How do I start this problem? I assume all the initial kinetic energy ((mv^2)/2) from the spinning of the tire is translated to the gravitational potential energy (mgh) but how does the radius fit into the equation? Help please?" slated to the gravitational potential energy (mgh) but how does the radius fit into the equation? Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniokano said:
Without air resistance, show the maximum height snow can reach is h_max=R+v^2/(2g)+gR^2/(2v^2)
Please express the problem clearly.
Is snow traversing any path?

My apologies, I didn't copy the question out correctly :

The problem statement, all known variables and given data

A car is stuck in the mud and mud is splashed around the rim of the tires. Assume that the radius of a tire is R and is spinning at a speed v>Rg. Without air resistance, show the maximum height the mud can reach is h_max=R+v^2/(2g)+gR^2/(2v^2)
Solve using conservation of energy

2.Relevant Equations
Ei=Ef
Ei=(1/2)mv2
Ef=mgh

How do I start this problem? I assume all the initial kinetic energy ((mv^2)/2) from the spinning of the tireis translated to the gravitational potential energy (mgh) using E_i=E_f, but how does the radius fit into the equation?

Daniokano said:
How do I start this problem? I assume all the initial kinetic energy ((mv^2)/2) from the spinning of the tireis translated to the gravitational potential energy (mgh) using E_i=E_f, but how does the radius fit into the equation?
You should also consider the height where the mud leaves the tire.

willem2 said:
You should also consider the height where the mud leaves the tire.

OK, so without use of conservation of energy, I assumed the height the mud left the tire is R. Now the velocity of the the mud is given v_t and the only acceleration effecting the mud is -g.

y(t) = R + v_t*t - (g*t^2)/2

v(t) = v_t - g*t

a(t) = - g

Max height is reached when v(t) = 0, solve for t.

t = v_t/g

Sub for t to find subsequent height

h_max = R + (v_t)^2/g - (v_t)^2/(2g)

h_max = R + (v_t)^2/(2g)

However this does not account for the gR^2/(2v^2) (given in the solution)

Any ideas?

When centrepetal force(adhesion) no longer can hold the mud or snow it goes in a parabolic path with the maximum (as required in problem by a part of mud as there are many portions of mud being slung at lower trajectories also) trajectory.It means we need initial velocity of that maximum trajectory and the portion is now free of tyre.Rest is now the usual path of a projectile problem.

Daniokano said:
I assumed the height the mud left the tire is R
Why assumed R?

1. How does a tire getting stuck in mud relate to energy conservation?

When a tire gets stuck in mud, the vehicle requires more energy to move forward due to the increased resistance from the mud. This means that more fuel is needed to overcome this resistance, resulting in a decrease in energy efficiency and an increased use of resources.

2. Can energy conservation practices prevent a tire from getting stuck in mud?

While energy conservation practices can help reduce the amount of energy needed to move a vehicle, they cannot prevent a tire from getting stuck in mud. This is because the resistance from the mud is an external force that cannot be controlled by energy conservation alone.

3. How does energy conservation play a role in dealing with a tire stuck in mud?

When trying to get a tire unstuck from mud, using energy conservation practices such as turning off the engine and using manpower can help conserve fuel and reduce emissions. This can also help prevent damaging the environment and wasting precious resources.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for why a tire gets stuck in mud?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for why a tire gets stuck in mud. This is due to the properties of mud, which is made up of water and soil particles. When a tire drives over mud, the particles get displaced and create a vacuum effect, making it difficult for the tire to move forward.

5. How can we use energy conservation to reduce the negative impact of a tire stuck in mud?

By practicing energy conservation in our daily lives, we can reduce our overall energy consumption and decrease our dependence on non-renewable resources. This can help mitigate the negative impact of a tire stuck in mud by reducing the amount of fuel needed to get the vehicle unstuck and minimizing our carbon footprint.