1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TISE for unbound particle

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle with mass m moving in the positive x -direction (i.e. from left to right) is incident on a potential step of height V0 at x = 0 so that the potential experienced by the particle is;
    V(x) = 0 for x < 0 and V(x) = V0 for x ≥ 0
    2. Relevant equations

Determine the time-independent wave function for the particle in the case where the particle energy, E, is greater than V0. This case corresponds to the solution for an ‘unbound’ particle (E > V0). Write your wave functions using complex notation; let the amplitudes of the incident, reflected and transmitted waves be CI, CR and
    CT respectively. Define the wavenumber, k, in the region x < 0 and the wavenumber
    k' in the region x ≥ 0 .

3. The attempt at a solution
    ψ(x) = CI*eikx + CR*e-ikx for x < 0 (is probably the first part of the equation).

My main problem is what to do with the second one, as the particle is constantly 'under the influence' of the potential V0 and at the same time I have to find CT when the wave has not been exactly transmitted so the equation can't just be CT*eikx(in my point of view)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

you are right for the case x<0. And for the case x>0, yes, the particle is essentially in a constant potential V0. In the region x>0, the particle has been transmitted. True, the equation is not CT*eikx. Try using the Schrodinger equation to find what the wavefunction should look like for x>0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted