Titanium Earth Quake Speakers

In summary, Granite is a crystalline, hard rock that is mainly composed of feldspar, quartz, and orthoclase. When hit with sound waves, it will shatter.
Intuitive
Years ago I was watching Discovery Channel, I remeber seeing a documentation on these Titanium Speakers that they used to simulate Earth Quakes by resinating a 2' x 2' Block of Marble and one of Granite.

When the Speakers hit Specific Notes the Blocks would begin resinating and then shatter.

(Main Question)
1.I'm curious to find out if the energy of the Blocks shattering released more Energy than it took to get them to shatter, especially the Granite Block.:bugeye:

Has anyone tested the Energy ratio difference?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Intuitive said:
Years ago I was watching Discovery Channel, I remeber seeing a documentation on these Titanium Speakers that they used to simulate Earth Quakes by resinating a 2' x 2' Block of Marble and one of Granite.

When the Speakers hit Specific Notes the Blocks would begin resinating and then shatter.

(Main Question)
1.I'm curious to find out if the energy of the Blocks shattering released more Energy than it took to get them to shatter, especially the Granite Block.:bugeye:

Has anyone tested the Energy ratio difference?

Actually they were 2' x 2' x 2' foot Blocks.

I wonder what results we'd get if the Block were a 2' x 2' x 2' Block of Piezo Crystal, The Block of Granite shattered pretty good if I remember right.

Intuitive said:
1.I'm curious to find out if the energy of the Blocks shattering released more Energy than it took to get them to shatter, especially the Granite Block

As in, can the Granite be considered an energy source? Doubtful, Granite is very brittle and wouldn't be able to store very much energy if it were pre-stressed. Also, the overall efficency of the speaker system was probably low enough to negate any possible energy coming out of the granite, assuming it were able to be recliamed some how.

Mech_Engineer said:
As in, can the Granite be considered an energy source? Doubtful, Granite is very brittle and wouldn't be able to store very much energy if it were pre-stressed. Also, the overall efficency of the speaker system was probably low enough to negate any possible energy coming out of the granite, assuming it were able to be recliamed some how.

Granite is a very hard, crystalline, igneous rock primarily composed of feldspar, quartz, orthoclase or microcline accompanied by one or more dark minerals. It is visibly homogeneous in texture. It is the most common plutonic rock of the Earth's crust, forming by the cooling of magma (silicate melt) at depth.

The term "Granite" is derived from the Latin word "Granum" meaning "grain" because of its granular nature. Italian granito, from past participle of granire to granulate, to make grainy, from grano, grain.
Granite is the hardest building stone and occupies a prominent place among dimensional stones on account of its hardness, resistance to weathering, capability to take mirror polish, fascinating colours and textural patterns.

The principal characteristics of dimensional granite also include high load bearing capacity, crushing strength, abrasive strength, amenability to cutting and shaping without secondary flaws, ability to yield thin and large slabs and - above all - durability. Due to its dense grain it is impervious to stain. Polished granite slabs and tiles have achieved a special status as building stones world over.
Granite is used as a building material in the form of granite tiles and granite slabs for wall cladding, roofing and flooring and a variety of other interior and exterior applications and especially for counter tops, kitchen work tops and vanity units and is the most popular material for monuments and memorials.

Technical Specifications

Granite is primarily composed of feldspar, quartz along with various other minerals in varying percentage,which are stated as follows:
Nominal chemical composition of various oxides
Silica(SiO2) ---------------------- 70-77%
Alumina(Al2O3) ----------------- 11- 14%
Potassium Oxide(P2O5) --------- 3 – 5%
Soda(Na2O) ------------------------ 3 – 5%
Lime ----------------------------------- 1%
Iron(Fe2O3) -------------------------- 1-2%
Iron(FeO) ----------------------------- 1 – 3%
Magnesia(Mg0) ------------------------- .5 – 1%
Titina ---------------------------------- Less than 1%(.38%)
Water(H2O) --------------------------- 0.03%

In terms of its physical properties granite is a unique material. These properties lending uniqueness to granite are:

Porosity/permeability
Granite has almost negligible porosity ranging between 0.2 to 4%.

Thermal Stability
Granite is highly stable thermally, therefore shows no changes with the change in temperature. Granite is impervious to weathering from temperature and even from the air borne chemicals. It is the high resistance to chemical erosion that makes granite useful for making tanks to store highly caustic material.

Co-efficient of expansion
The co-efficient of expansion for granite varies from 4.7x10-6 – 9.0x10-6(inch x inch).

Variegation
Granite shows consistency in color and texture.

Hardness
It is the hardest building stone and hardness of granite that lends it excellent wear.

Granite Myths

Not all granites are "true" granites however for commercial purposes they are grouped together.
Not all black granites are the same. Learn more here.
Granite will scratch and chip when abused however it can be repaired!
Granite can stain however it is possible for it to be removed.
Not all granites need to be sealed.
If a granite needs to be sealed, do it since this will avoid most problems.
Sealing correctly is not a five minute job. Take care and time and do it properly.
Granite sealed correctly will last for many years before "topping up".
Granite does not contain harmful radon gases.
Granite does not come from only mountainous regions.
Thin and long narrow lengths of granite will break easily.
If the granite surface is not correctly prepared (bottomed out) it may lose its polish.
Granite is not expensive in comparison to other so-called quality materials.
Granite is not difficult to clean, mild soap and water is all that is generally required.
Granite is not man-made and does not come from a factory mould! Each piece is unique.

Last edited:
Ok, I know WHAT granite is, so that entire "lecture" was not neceessary :grumpy: And by the way, it told me nothing about what you are trying to get at. All of these physical properties you spouted off are easily found through an internet search, and I'm trying to understand WHY you care about any possible released energy.

All I'm saying is that the only possible source of energy that would come from the granite block if it is physically (rather than chemically) destroyed would be stress in the block. This stress would be released if the block was destroyed as physical work. However, since granite is not very elastic, it wouldn't be able to store very much energy (compared to say a large block of rubber or an elastoplastic material).

1. What are Titanium Earth Quake Speakers?

Titanium Earth Quake Speakers are a type of speaker system designed to withstand seismic activity and produce high-quality sound. They are made with titanium, a strong and durable metal, to ensure their durability during earthquakes and other natural disasters.

2. How do they differ from regular speakers?

Titanium Earth Quake Speakers have a more robust construction compared to regular speakers. They are built with thicker materials and have shock-absorbing components to withstand the vibrations and movements caused by earthquakes. They also have a wider frequency response and higher power handling capabilities for better sound quality.

3. Are they only useful during earthquakes?

No, Titanium Earth Quake Speakers can be used in any situation where durability and high-quality sound are desired. They are also great for outdoor events and activities where they may be exposed to harsh weather conditions.

4. Can they be used in a home theater system?

Yes, Titanium Earth Quake Speakers can be used in a home theater system. In fact, their ability to withstand vibrations and produce clear sound makes them an excellent choice for a home theater setup.

5. Are they more expensive than regular speakers?

Yes, Titanium Earth Quake Speakers are typically more expensive than regular speakers due to their specialized construction and materials. However, their durability and high-quality sound make them a worthwhile investment, especially in areas prone to earthquakes.