Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titanium rainbow quartz help!

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a strange request...

I am looking to find out if there is any way with the help of an expert I can recreate the same or a similar effect of the rainbow/iridescent effect that is found on titanium rainbow quartz crystals? This could either be on glass, or metal or any material. As I am a fashion student and don't know that much about the scientific side of this effect, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

I believe that's done with vapor deposition techniques; that deposit a very thing layer of metal on the crystal.
    While it's probably technically possible to do this to glass, I'm afraid the methods required to do this are well beyond the means of a hobbyist.
  4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks for replying. I realise that this is a complicated process but I am not simply a hobbyist. I am about to start a Masters at the Royal College of Art and am looking to find out whether with I can commission or find someone who has the equipment and knowledge to carry out a process like this. I have already done a great deal of research into this process but obviously I would need a lot of help. Would you be able to advise me on the type of person I would need to contact or where would be a good starting point? I am based in London.

Many thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook