• Start date
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why can't we add a smilie to the title of a post? :frown:

We can add one to the title of a PM - I've just done it! :cool:

Answers and Replies

I think the option vanished at some point. Earlier smilies were available for the title. However, I noticed that Chris Hillman kept putting smilies into the title even after the option had vanished! Perhaps he knows something we don't! :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The option was removed to leave space for the quick preview button in the forum index.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
quick preview buttons

The option was removed to leave space for the quick preview button in the forum index.
ooh, I never knew there was a quick preview button! :smile:

I've just tried a few - they're quite useful - shouldn't there be a column heading, or something else, drawing attention to them?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ooh, I never knew there was a quick preview button! :smile:

I've just tried a few - they're quite useful - shouldn't there be a column heading, or something else, drawing attention to them?
I think a column heading would be too much. They were announced but I just guess people are left to discover for themselves. :smile:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

_Mayday_

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
… I've done it! …

ooh … I've done it …

General announcement

You can add a smilie to the title of a post by editing it immediately after you post it, and clicking "Go Advanced" on the edit page, and adding the smilie at that stage!​

Let's see …

Nope … didn't work … that's odd …

It worked at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1649368#post1649368

I wonder what I did differently?

oh yes … that's it …
:biggrin: woohoo! :biggrin:

Last edited:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
ooh … I've done it …

General announcement

You can add a smilie to the title of a post by editing it immediately after you post it, and clicking "Go Advanced" on the edit page, and adding the smilie at that stage!​

Let's see …

Nope … didn't work … that's odd …

It worked at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1649368#post1649368

I wonder what I did differently?

oh yes … that's it …
:biggrin: woohoo! :biggrin:
Well, yes, it still works for titles of posts, but not titles of threads.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think it was over-all a good trade. Having a smiley in your thread title is fun, but being able to preview the posts without actually opening the thread is much more useful.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think it was over-all a good trade. Having a smiley in your thread title is fun, but being able to preview the posts without actually opening the thread is much more useful.
Overall, very few people used the smilies in their thread titles anyway, so getting rid of something that was rarely used and doesn't really add any functionality for something that does add functionality seemed good to me too.

As for a column heading/label, unless you can think of a heading that uses only one character, it's not going to fit. :wink: You're supposed to just be a curious person wondering what all the +s are in that column and click one to find out what it does. :biggrin:

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
… just being curious …

Hi Moonbear! :smile:

I don't actually want thread title smilies -
:smile: I was just "a curious person wondering" … ! :smile:

But the preview icon is very unsuggestive - it looks more like a first-aid box.

I see its name is "expand.jpg" - perhaps it could be replaced by a little magnifying glass, so that more people know what it is?

(btw, if you click on a preview of a zero-replies thread - so you've seen the whole thread - does that mean you aren't counted in the "views" column?)