Titled, Translated Ellipse

• Thread starter Sleeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation was about finding a formula for determining whether a point is within a tilted ellipse, given the coordinates of its center, the length of its major and minor axis, and the angle of its tilt. The person asking the question needed this formula for their astronomical research, but had not been able to find it through online searches. The suggested solution was to use a change of coordinates to transform the problem into a simpler setting. The final formula suggested was based on the concept of rotating and translating the ellipse to a non-tilted position.
Sleeker
I need to find whether or not a point is within an ellipse. The problem is that the ellipse is tilted at an angle and not at the origin. I've tried Googling everywhere and can't find a good equation for what I need. Does anybody know the formula for an ellipse that includes:

1. Coordinates of the ellipse's center
2. Length of major axis (diameter or radius)
3. Length of minor axis (diameter or radius)
4. Angle the ellipse is tilted relative to x or y-axis (doesn't matter which, I can figure it out from there).

I'm doing astronomical research, and I'm trying to locate points within galaxies which are shaped like ellipses. The four things I listed are the things I am given.

Edit: I know I can translate and rotate my ellipse, but I would really like just one formula since I need to do this approximately 2,500 times for my astronomical research.

Another edit: Maybe this?

[tex](\frac{x cos\theta+y sin\theta - x_c}{a})^2 + (\frac{x sin\theta-y cos\theta - y_c}{b})^2 = 1[/tex]

a = major axis (radial)
b = minor axis (radial)
[tex]x_c[/tex] = x coordinate of center
[tex]y_c[/tex] = y coordinate of center
[tex]\theta[/tex] = Angle of tilt from x-axis

I kind of just mixed and matched formulas until I think I incorporated everything. Is it right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It may be simplest to compute a change of coordinates that tranforms to a coordinate system where the ellipse is not tilted. Then apply the change of coordinates to the points in question and solve the problem in the simpler setting.

Try this:

[tex]\frac{((x-x_c)\cos\theta + (y-y_c)\sin\theta)^2}{a^2}+
\frac{((x-x_c)\sin\theta - (y-y_c)\cos\theta)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

Hm, yeah, that makes more sense with incorporating the fact that it's off-center with the formula from this website:

http://www.maa.org/joma/Volume8/Kalman/General.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of having a reliable and efficient equation for your research. After reviewing the information you provided, I believe the formula you have suggested is correct. It takes into account all the necessary parameters, such as the coordinates of the center, major and minor axis lengths, and angle of tilt. It is also a well-known formula for an ellipse that has been translated and rotated. However, I would recommend double-checking the formula and testing it on a few sample points to ensure its accuracy before using it for your entire dataset of 2,500 points.

Additionally, I would suggest looking into any available software or programming tools that can automate this process for you. This would save you time and effort in manually calculating the position of each point within the ellipse. Overall, it seems like you have a solid approach to solving this problem and I wish you the best of luck with your research.

1. What is a titled, translated ellipse?

A titled, translated ellipse is a geometric shape that is created by intersecting a plane with a cone at an angle. It is similar to a circle, but instead of having a constant diameter, it has two focal points, which are the points where the cone intersects with the plane. The ellipse is titled if the plane intersects the cone at an angle, and translated if the center of the ellipse is not at the origin of the coordinate system.

2. How is a titled, translated ellipse different from a regular ellipse?

A regular ellipse has its center at the origin of the coordinate system, while a titled, translated ellipse can have its center at any point in the coordinate system. Additionally, a regular ellipse has a constant diameter, while a titled, translated ellipse has two focal points that determine its shape.

3. What are the properties of a titled, translated ellipse?

Some properties of a titled, translated ellipse include having a major axis, which is the longest diameter of the ellipse, and a minor axis, which is the shortest diameter. The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two focal points is always constant, and this constant is equal to the length of the major axis. The eccentricity of a titled, translated ellipse is always less than 1, and it determines the shape of the ellipse.

4. How is a titled, translated ellipse used in science?

Titled, translated ellipses have various applications in science, including in orbital mechanics, where they are used to describe the shape of orbits around a central body. They are also used in optics and engineering to design lenses and mirrors with specific shapes. In mathematics, they are studied as a type of conic section.

5. Can a titled, translated ellipse be converted into a regular ellipse?

Yes, a titled, translated ellipse can be converted into a regular ellipse by rotating the ellipse so that its major axis is aligned with the x-axis and then translating it to the origin of the coordinate system. This process is known as a transformation of conic sections and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.