Titrate sulphuirc acid with sodium hydroxide

• Thread starter The Bob
  • Start date
GeneralChemTutor said:
nope, I'm actually an undergrad student in chemistry, yet I've had lots of experience tutoring for chemistry at my university. I'll check upon your work later, right now I'm a bit busy.
Fair enough.

Thanks for the help. I think it is starting to fallinto place a bit. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

GCT

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually from the reading the problem, I would imagine that an equimolar solution of acetic acid and sodium hydroxide would be basic at equivalence point. Note that we have strong base component, it will react with all of the acid present. What does that leave us with? The salt, the significant component being the conjugate base of acetic acid.

Note that acetic acid is a weak acid, which means that its conjugate base is also significant. For instance, with a strong acid, we have a very weak conjugate base, this is partly why the acid dissociates so easily.

So you'll need to calculate the [itex]pOH[/itex] due to the salt.

[tex]K_b= \frac{[HAc][OH^-]}{[Ac^-]} [/tex], try attempting this for yourself and remember the pH will be above 7.

GCT

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[tex]K_b= \frac{[x][x]}{[.03M-x]} [/tex], you can either find K_b from a source, or deduce from Ka. I believe that

[tex]K_a ( K_b) =1.0 x 10^-14 [/tex], although not certain, from that simply solve for x, this will be the hydroxide concentration.

[tex]pOH=-log[OH-] [/tex] and [tex]pOH + pH =14 [/tex]

We have started it, finally, in Chemistry so I am going to wait a little longer and work out the basics in my head. Then I will make this thread come to life again with what I don't understand and then it should be easier to explain rather than teaching a beginner.

I appreciate all of your help, GCT and Borek, and I hope you will both be willing to help me when I get to a stage of asking questions again. I might post tomorrow if I get it fast enough. But for now it is time for me to look up what 'magic acids' are as extension work from my chemistry lecturer. :grumpy:

Cheers again.

The Bob (2004 ©)