1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration Curves

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    Titration Curves - Help needed

I really need some help in this, I don't understand how to make a titration curve. I have 50ml of a 0.1 M solution of formic acid with a 0.1 M solution of NaOH. I know that the pKa of the formic acid is 3.74 but i don't know how to get the pH or H+. I've hit a wall and my brain is fried from trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A basic titration curve can consist of the pH on the y axis and mL of the titrant (strong base such as NaOH) on the x axis. The significant points will be at the intercept (which will be the initial pH), the half way point of titration (where half of the moles of the acid has been titrated), the equivalence point (where the conjugate of the formic acid will contribute to the pH), and the volume of base required to reach a theoretical pH of, say 12, (although there are superior methods for this part).

You should know what I'm referring to.

4. Dec 13, 2005 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Chack this acid/base titration curve calculation lecture. Note that it uses information from other lectures as well.

BATE (pH calculator - see signature) will calculate the curve for you - but it will not help you understand the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?