Titration Help: Standardize HCl Using Oxalic Acid & CaCOH Solution

• Thread starter Dynamis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation is about preparing a standard solution of oxalic acid and using it to find the concentration of a given solution of CaCOH, which will then be used to standardize a given solution of HCl. The process involves mixing water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in a 250 ml volumetric flask and taking into account that oxalic acid is a diprotic acid. The person asking for help received assistance and did well on their inclass lab exam.
Dynamis
Question:
Prepare a standard solution of oxalic acid (approx. 0.05M). Use it to find the conc of the given solution of CaCOH. Use this to standardize the given solution of HCl.

So basically I am suppose to do this as an inclass lab. I will be given a 250 ml volumetric flask where i will have to mix water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in solid form in it. How will I do the calculations and how will I approach this lab. I'm so lost. Any help would great, thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any textbook on analytical chemistry covers alkalimetric titration, together with precise recipes and how-tos.

Dynamis said:
Question:
Prepare a standard solution of oxalic acid (approx. 0.05M). Use it to find the conc of the given solution of CaCOH. Use this to standardize the given solution of HCl.

So basically I am suppose to do this as an inclass lab. I will be given a 250 ml volumetric flask where i will have to mix water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in solid form in it. How will I do the calculations and how will I approach this lab. I'm so lost. Any help would great, thanks in advance!

keep in mind that oxalic acid is a diprotic acid, so it will take half the amount of oxalic acid (moles) to neutralize all of the base.

Thanks for the response guys, I did pretty good on this inclass lab exam today, as far as the calculations went, but the actual titrating and stuff was a little weird as I overfilled my volumetric flask and some other weird stuff. Overall I did alright, but thanks anyway for the help.

1. What is titration and how is it used in science?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown substance by reacting it with a known substance. It is used in science to accurately measure the amount of a particular substance in a solution, such as acids, bases, or salts.

2. Why is standardization important in titration?

Standardization is important in titration because it allows for the accurate determination of the concentration of a solution. By using a known substance to titrate against an unknown one, the concentration of the unknown can be calculated based on the known concentration of the titrant.

3. How is HCl standardized using oxalic acid and CaCOH solution?

To standardize HCl, a known concentration of oxalic acid is used as the titrant. The oxalic acid solution is added to the HCl until the endpoint is reached, which is indicated by a color change in the indicator. The volume of oxalic acid used is then used to calculate the concentration of the HCl solution.

4. What is the purpose of using an indicator in titration?

An indicator is used in titration to signal the endpoint of the reaction. It is a substance that changes color when the reaction is complete, indicating that all of the unknown substance has been reacted with the known substance.

5. How can errors be minimized in titration experiments?

To minimize errors in titration experiments, it is important to use precise measuring equipment, such as burettes and pipettes. It is also important to perform multiple trials and take the average of the results to reduce the effect of any outliers. Additionally, careful attention to the endpoint and proper technique can help to minimize errors in titration.