Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration Help .

1. Jun 19, 2005 #1
    Question:
    Prepare a standard solution of oxalic acid (approx. 0.05M). Use it to find the conc of the given solution of CaCOH. Use this to standardize the given solution of HCl.

So basically I am suppose to do this as an inclass lab. I will be given a 250 ml volumetric flask where i will have to mix water and a calculated amount of oxalic acid in solid form in it. How will I do the calculations and how will I approach this lab. I'm so lost. Any help would great, thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Any textbook on analytical chemistry covers alkalimetric titration, together with precise recipes and how-tos.

4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    keep in mind that oxalic acid is a diprotic acid, so it will take half the amount of oxalic acid (moles) to neutralize all of the base.

5. Jun 20, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the response guys, I did pretty good on this inclass lab exam today, as far as the calculations went, but the actual titrating and stuff was a little weird as I overfilled my volumetric flask and some other weird stuff. Overall I did alright, but thanks anyway for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?