1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration Lab Equipment Set Up

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone. I'm teaching introductory chemistry this semester, but I don't have much of a chem background.

We are about to start acid base titrations. Does the standard solution of known concentration go in the buret tube or the erlenmeyer flask? Does it matter?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In my lab, the acid has the unknown concentration, while the base's concentration is known. I have it set up so that the acid is in the erlenmeyer flask and the base is in the buret tube.

This is convenient because the indicator is colorless in the acid but pink in the base. However, would there ever be a situation where solution with the known concentration would be in the erlenmeyer flask?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have always put known into the burette. Not that I don't know any serious arguments telling why we should do it this way.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. May 10, 2015 #3
    Good to know, thank you! One more thing - is "titrant" always the solution of known concentration, or just the name for the solution that goes in the buret? It's hard to find a clear answer online.

5. May 10, 2015 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Other things being equal I would put the standard in the flask. Because the pipettes sampling will be more accurate than the burette measurement I prefer the feeling that there is one thing there that I know as accurately as possible against which I am measuring my unknown. But it is ridiculous of me, because the final accuracy will just depend on then,east accurate part - then burette. Nothing to choose really.

Your point is more important - you are likely to detect a colour appearance better than its disappearance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted