1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration of Zinc with EDTA

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to determine the percentage of zinc in an unknown sample. What I did in this lab, was, I titrated the zinc solution (which contained about 4g unknown zinc sample) with Na2EDTA and it took about 20 mL to reach the end point. Before doing this, I standardized the Na2EDTA solution by using the Na2EDTA to titrate a calcium standard solution which contained about 0.25 g of calcium carbonate. It took about 25 mL to titrate this. So now my question is, how do I find the percentage of zinc in the unknown sample?

2. Relevant equations
    n=m/M, n= CxV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the standardized concentration of Na2EDTA which is 0.1 M. So how do I use this standardization to find the amount of zinc in the sample?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For ease of giving help, I ignore the standardization process.
    Moles of Zinc titrated is equivalent to moles of EDTA used for titration.
    Moles of Zinc = (0.020 liters of EDTA solution) * (0.1 moles EDTA/liter EDTA solution)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook