How Do You Calculate the Percentage of Zinc in a Sample Using EDTA Titration?

EDTA usedIn summary, the student is trying to determine the percentage of zinc in an unknown sample by titrating a zinc solution with Na2EDTA. The Na2EDTA solution was previously standardized using a calcium standard solution. The student has a question about how to use the standardized concentration of Na2EDTA to find the amount of zinc in the sample.
anon13

Homework Statement

I'm trying to determine the percentage of zinc in an unknown sample. What I did in this lab, was, I titrated the zinc solution (which contained about 4g unknown zinc sample) with Na2EDTA and it took about 20 mL to reach the end point. Before doing this, I standardized the Na2EDTA solution by using the Na2EDTA to titrate a calcium standard solution which contained about 0.25 g of calcium carbonate. It took about 25 mL to titrate this. So now my question is, how do I find the percentage of zinc in the unknown sample?

Homework Equations

n=m/M, n= CxV

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the standardized concentration of Na2EDTA which is 0.1 M. So how do I use this standardization to find the amount of zinc in the sample?

Physics news on Phys.org
For ease of giving help, I ignore the standardization process.
Moles of Zinc titrated is equivalent to moles of EDTA used for titration.
Moles of Zinc = (0.020 liters of EDTA solution) * (0.1 moles EDTA/liter EDTA solution)

What is the purpose of titrating Zinc with EDTA?

The purpose of titrating Zinc with EDTA is to determine the concentration of Zinc in a solution. EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent that forms a complex with Zinc ions, making it possible to measure the amount of Zinc present in a sample.

What are the steps involved in titrating Zinc with EDTA?

The steps involved in titrating Zinc with EDTA include preparing the Zinc solution, adding an indicator (such as Eriochrome Black T), slowly adding the EDTA solution until the color changes, and recording the volume of EDTA solution used. The process is repeated until consistent results are obtained.

What is the significance of using an indicator in this titration?

An indicator is used in this titration to detect when all the Zinc ions have been complexed with the EDTA. The indicator changes color when the Zinc ions have been completely bound, indicating the endpoint of the titration.

How is the concentration of Zinc calculated in this titration?

The concentration of Zinc can be calculated using the volume of EDTA solution used and the known concentration of the EDTA solution. The formula for this calculation is: Concentration of Zinc = (Volume of EDTA solution used * Concentration of EDTA solution) / Volume of Zinc solution.

What are some possible sources of error in this titration?

Some possible sources of error in this titration include inaccurate measurement of solutions, improper handling of equipment, presence of impurities in the Zinc sample, and incomplete complex formation between Zinc and EDTA. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and perform multiple trials for accurate results.