Calculating Titrant pH Without Henderson Hasselbach Equation

In summary, this conversation is discussing a titration experiment involving nitrous acid (HNO2) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The concentration and volume of each solution is given and the question is asked about the resulting pH after adding a volume of titrant. The answer is revealed to be pH=4.3, using a simple equation involving the Ka value of nitrous acid. The conversation also includes a reminder to carefully manage concentration calculations and to double check the rearranged equation for a quadratic solution.
navaq
Titrant

[HNO2]= 0.10 mol/dm3
v= 25ml = 0.025 dm3

+

Analyte

[NaOH]= 0.125 mol/dm3
v= 20ml = 0.02 dm3

Question is: What is the ph after adding a volume 10ml of titrant?
I know the answer is ph= 4,3

I'm not allowed to use Henderson Hasselbach equation.
This is the only type of titration ph calculation i don't know how to do. When you add a certain volume of the titrant and one of them not being strong (the acid in this case).

Hope you can help me with the calculation or at least the steps so that I can try it and confirm.
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Navaq,

There is a relatively simple form of equation to use which you can find in this board and in the other homework board, buried in some of the messages; I knew the form very well a few days ago but now forgot exactly how it goes. also easy to use...
without my going back to rederive it, the equation is (you'll need to recheck):
Ka = [H][Fs + H - OH]/(Fa - H + OH)

Manage your concentration calculations carefully; rearrange to the equational form you need, quadratic solution for H; Fs means formality of salt, Fa means formality of the weak acid.

One problem in your exercise description: Would your ANALYTE be the HNO2 (nitrous acid, the weak acid), and the TITRANT be the sodium hydroxide?

One problem in your exercise description: Would your ANALYTE be the HNO2 (nitrous acid, the weak acid), and the TITRANT be the sodium hydroxide?

Yes, it really is. Ka (nitrous acid) = 5,1 x 10^(-4)

1. What is the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the pH of a solution based on the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base. It is written as pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant and [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively.

2. Why is it important to calculate titrant pH without using the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is only applicable to weak acids and bases, and cannot be used for strong acids or bases. Therefore, it is important to have alternative methods for calculating titrant pH in these cases.

3. What other methods can be used to calculate titrant pH without the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

One method is to use a pH meter to directly measure the pH of the titrant solution. Another method is to use the acid dissociation constant (Ka) of the titrant to calculate the pH. Additionally, there are online calculators and software programs available that can calculate titrant pH without using the Henderson Hasselbach equation.

4. How accurate are these alternative methods compared to using the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

The accuracy of these alternative methods depends on the accuracy of the data used, such as the concentration of the titrant and the value of the acid dissociation constant. In general, they can provide a good estimate of the titrant pH, but may not be as precise as using the Henderson Hasselbach equation.

5. Is it necessary to know the Henderson Hasselbach equation in order to calculate titrant pH?

No, it is not necessary to know the Henderson Hasselbach equation to calculate titrant pH. As mentioned before, there are alternative methods available that can be used. However, understanding the Henderson Hasselbach equation can provide a deeper understanding of acid-base chemistry and can be useful in certain cases where the other methods may not be applicable.