1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration question

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    A 0.4793g sample of primary standard grade Na2CO3 was treated with 40.00mL of dilute HCl. The solution was boiled to remove CO2 and then excess HCl was back-titrated with 8.70mL of NaOH. In a separate experiment, it was established that 27.43mL of the HCl neutralized the hydroxide in a 25.00mL portion of the NaOH solution. Calculate the molarities of the HCl and the NaOH solutions.

I need a starting point or steps. I was thinking about finding the number of moles of the standard Na2CO3 present. But other than that, I'm a little overwhelmed with what to do with all the volumes given. Please help on the homework problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello, I see that a lot of people encounter some difficulty in understanding these.

Please remember that molarity has the dimension of [tex]\frac{mol}{L}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{mmol}{mL}[/tex], while multiplying this with volume gives mol or mmol, respectively.

You can try writing the reaction formula to see how many mols of reactants are required for a complete reaction, and you can find how many moles of HCl are in excess.

A last hint: if someone says that there is a primary standard, you can understand that its purity can be considered as 100%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?