1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration Questions

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sample of saturated Ca(OH)2 solution in water is collected in flask #1, filtered into flask #2, then 25.00mL samples were transferred into flasks #3, #4, #5. Which flasks had to be dry and which could be wet?

Also, flask #2 was stoppered. Why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think only flask #1 could be wet since it is the only flask that has unfiltered solution.

I think flask #2 was stoppered since it was filtered to prevent contamination, but would it affect Ksp if it wasn't stoppered?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With no purpose stated I cannot see how it matters whether any flask is dry or wet.

Stoppering the bottle is to stop it something getting to it, what could that be?

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    The purpose was to determine the Ksp of calcium hydroxide using titration calculations

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's the general purpose of the whole process, but you have not stated purposes of individual transfers - and that's what matters.

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well we now know it is needed to know for sure that the solutions he gets at the end are exactly saturated. Not difficult to see what needs to be dry IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted