Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TIX Clock rework

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    I have a strange question. I have a TIX clock and would like to basically enlarge it. So I'd like to take the controller card off of the TIX board << link to cuberoot.com removed by berkeman -- possible virus issues >> and create a new board that will support these: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=679

Can anyone point me in a direction of how I might do this? I was thinking I might be able to just solder the the contacts for the new LED bars onto the current board. But I don't think the board can support that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an EE, just a CS. lol

I can post any pics of the board or other information that might be helpful.

Thanks,
    Cj B

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do they use to drive the existing display?
    A schematic would help.

The display units you want to use are 12v at 30ma.
    You probably need a new power supply to get the 12v and switch transistors to drive each unit.

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Black, thank you so much for this post. I've never heard of a TIX clock before, but now that I've seen your link I have to have one. That is so cool...

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4
    Yeah. I'm sure I'll have to get a new power supply.

I'm not really sure what they use to drive it now.. Would pictures of the board help?

Thanks,
    Cj B

6. Sep 4, 2006 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, pictures arn't that usefull.
    Need the display driver components (with part numbers) and the connections between the components.
    You can trace this off the circuit board, but its a long tedious job. What you end up with when the job is complete is a schematic.

7. Sep 4, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shouldn't be hard. Use the signals which light up the (low power) LEDs to control power MOSFET devices to supply 12V to the large, high-power light bars from an external power supply.

- Warren

8. Sep 5, 2006 #7
    Ahh. Now that sounds like the idea I had in mind.... So this does seem like it's doable! I'm meeting with a UCI student today to go over the project.

9. Sep 5, 2006 #8

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

30ma @ 12v?
    A small bipolar switch transistor should do the job.
    A power MOSFET is a bit of overkill here.

You might even be able to convince the existing driver circuit to do the job directly with minor changes.
    This would be my first approach at the issue.

10. Sep 5, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NoTime,

I didn't look at the current specs for the light bars. I just assumed they were big, and drew a lot of current.

- Warren

11. Jan 7, 2007 #10
    Hi there. Here's the final version!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Jan 7, 2007 #11

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cool :cool:

13. Jan 8, 2007 #12

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It looks like some of you were able to view the cuberoot.com link without any problems, but it did something bad to my computer. Symantec antivirus complained about a virus intrusion that I'm still dealing with, and it left behind a new URL in my Internet Options homepage. I deleted the link from the OP. This may just be a coincidence, however, so apologies if cuberoot.com is a valid link. I'm not going to be trying it again to check it.

14. Jan 8, 2007 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That looks great, Black. :cool:

15. Jan 8, 2007 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Message to Berkeman;
    I tried to respond to your PM, but couldn't because my mailbox is full. Can you dig it out anyhow?

16. Jan 8, 2007 #15

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hi Danger, I sent you an e-mail instead. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?