Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TLC: Standard

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    What are standards used for in TLC. Are they used so as to compare some unknown substances, and then from that to determine what chemicals/molecules have been separated or are being used?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are none. TLC is an ad hoc system. I only use it to monitor the progress of a reaction or to identify how many components might be in a sample. In the case where I monitor the reaction, the reactants are the standards. The product(s) must be purified individually (usually by flash column) and identified by other techniques.

Rf is not a specific test....

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

While there are no standards, if you know what compounds to expect in your sample, you can always put them on the side to help identify spots.

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4
    Although my TA never told us what the standard spot was containing, he did draw two molecules that were of same composition but with one having an added -OH group. So I am assuming that the standard was to be used for comparing spots formed.

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was one of those two molecules an alkene and the other an alcohol (cyclohexene and cyclohexanol, for example)?

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    no, the molecules he drew were TEMPO and 4-hydroxy-TEMPO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook