To All The Usa Or Canada People

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
The best American sounding part of this is the "Jesus!" that sounds perfect. I have no idea what you said between "I know you" and "your debts" and your f word needs to be sharper and shorter. bite your bottom lip on the f and then a sharp UK. get the ffUK outta here

I can't say it is much of an improvement in my opinion, you can still detect the accent, especially when you are saying "you're lousy friend,..."

I would reccomend that you speak a little slower. Also, for example, when you say "you're a lousy friend" The way you are saying "you're" seems way off (I think saying it slower will help).

mattmns said:
I can't say it is much of an improvement in my opinion, you can still detect the accent, especially when you are saying "you're lousy friend,..."

I would reccomend that you speak a little slower. Also, for example, when you say "you're a lousy friend" The way you are saying "you're" seems way off (I think saying it slower will help).
and don't listen to mattmns. you don't need to speak slower. I think its a matter of crispness, making the words sharper with more definition between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
Ok, my dear language coaches...I have made a new attempt
I didn't watch the first one. In this one you sound distinctly European. This is primarily evident in the consonants, but there is also what I'd have to call a "lilt" in the intonations, that I suppose is from the Flemish. You wouldn't be able to come here and pass as an American.

I speak some German and have several times been able to fool German speaking visitors to the US into thinking I'm some kind of native German speaker. (I can sustain this as long as I don't have to form any complex sentences that betray the fact my grammar and vocabulary is poor.) The way I'm able to do this is by imitating a specific German, one of my teachers, and adopting all his intonations, vowels and consonants.

If you can find an American over there who speaks in a more casual everyday manner (i.e. not an "educated" sounding person) you might try to get them to read the lines into a recorder for you and work on imitating the minutia of their speech exactly.

For what it's worth your American accent is superior to Arnold Schwarzenegger's or Jean-Claude van Damme's. Still, its too much to go unnoticed.

Danger
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
all three network news anchors speak mostly like Californians. :biggrin:
They do not! Lloyd Robertson and Peter Mansbridge sound perfectly normal. (Who the hell is the third one? :confused: )