Is Applied Mathematics the Right Path for Me?

• Thread starter Antz002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary: If you want a career in applied math, you would need a degree in applied math. A qualification such as a masters or PhD would be necessary. A job in applied math would be unrelated to mathematics, but could include things such as modelling.
Antz002
Hi All

I'm sure you get a lot of questions like this one, so I apologise if its more of the same. I've done a bit of a search, but I didn't find anything which really answered my question. I'm a south african student finishing my final year of high school with Cambridge (this means I can't tell you any SAT scores or similar)

I'm considering a course in applied mathematics next year, but I've never been terribly brilliant with maths. I've found that I've enjoyed it this year especially and I've done quite a decent course in maths. I'm just not sure whether I'll be able to cope with a University maths course. Do you have any advice for me to help me decide whether I've got what it takes? I'm also interested in physics, but applied maths seems to be more useful in the real world and combines some physics with maths. I'm not too worried about how much I'll earn after studying, but I have wondered whether a job using applied maths (I would do a computer science course too) would be financially viable, or whether go with my other choice which is human genetics?

Any advice would be very appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If your looking for a career go into engineering or computer science. If you want a life for the love of science then go into physics or human genetics. Don't worry about the math part. I'm no mathematician either but I did fine. Go and apply and start school. If you decide to change your focus along the way there's nothing wrong with that, people do it all the time.

Topher925 said:
If your looking for a career go into engineering or computer science. If you want a life for the love of science then go into physics or human genetics.
Well, I'm not necessarily looking for a career, but it would be nice to be able to support a family and feed myself (so that I can carry on enjoying the Math, haha) ;)
What type of work can one get with a degree in applied math? I mean its all great to enjoy the science, but no one's going to pay for you to do that, if you know what I mean. I do enjoy mathematics, but I'm wondering if there are work opportunities. What level of qualification would I need? Masters? Phd? And would my job land up being something completely unrelated to maths, or could I actually get a job modelling etc in my field?
Thanks again!

What does it mean to "apply" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, "apply" typically refers to the process of using scientific principles or techniques to solve a problem or answer a research question. This can involve conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, or developing theories and models.

What factors should be considered when deciding whether or not to apply a scientific approach?

When deciding whether or not to apply a scientific approach, it is important to consider the feasibility and potential impact of the approach. This includes assessing the available resources, potential risks and benefits, and the relevance of the approach to the problem at hand.

What are some common challenges when applying a scientific approach?

Some common challenges when applying a scientific approach include obtaining funding and resources, designing appropriate experiments or studies, and interpreting and communicating the results accurately. There may also be ethical considerations and potential limitations of the approach.

How can one determine if a scientific approach is appropriate for a given problem?

To determine if a scientific approach is appropriate, it is important to carefully define the problem and consider if a scientific approach is the most effective way to address it. This may involve researching previous studies and consulting with colleagues or experts in the field.

What are some potential benefits of applying a scientific approach?

Some potential benefits of applying a scientific approach include advancing knowledge and understanding, developing practical solutions to real-world problems, and making evidence-based decisions. It can also lead to collaboration and interdisciplinary learning within the scientific community.