1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To be a physicist

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    actually i need to know about more pertaining physic course .is it just taking 3 years to graduate in degree ? suppose to 4 years right?!and how about the time taken MASTER courses?then phd...all this i have not much understanding .hope u guys can tell me ..

and somemore,i can have sponsor when i doing phd program is this true?!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every country has a different education system, so it's not possible to answer your question definitively.

Here in the US, you first have to earn a bachelor's degree in physics, which takes 4 years (and often 5 years - or more).

Then you apply to graduate programs. The time it takes to complete graduate school varies widely, but generally it's about 2 years if you stop at a master's, or 5 to 8 years (please someone correct me if that's wrong) to get a Phd.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    omg,my bachelor (Hons) degree take oni 3 years??!! i am come from malaysia,would it be accepted to foreign country like UK??cuz i planing to take master program in oversea .

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4
    3 year degree with an Honours thesis is good enough to get into UK universities.

Only Imperial and Cambridge want a 4 year degree (I think)

All the other UK universities only need 3 year

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook