1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To become an Engineer or Not

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

So I am considering becoming an engineer I guess, I love building things and enjoy using computers...Potentially an electrical engineer I like circuits and electricity in general but I also like fluids too.

I currently am a Meteorology & Atmospheric Science major. Also minoring in physics but I've surpassed the physics requirements already.

Entering my senior year here are some courses I've taken:
    Chem (Two Semesters)
    Calc 1-3
    Diffy Eqs.
    Prob and stats for scints and engineers
    University Physics 1&2
    Scientific Programing (python)
    Modern Physics
    Classical Mechanics
    E & M (One semester)
    Atmospheric Dynamics (Two semesters)
    Atmospheric Physics

Would it be possible to apply to a masters program in some sort of engineering with this background, I've talked to a few universities and they say I would have to take courses in the summer to catch up on certain things like no lab experience and other classes..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2
    It depends a lot on the school. You usually need to have some specific schools in mind and ask them.

There are some pretty light weight engineering programs out there who will let anyone in who has a 3.0 undergrad GPA and the $ to pay tuition.

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    I'm a bit more skeptical. Engineering usually goes well past the basics and in to specifics such as statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids, fluid dynamics, circuits, signals, and so on.

You will need to cover those undergraduate courses somehow. If you don't cover those courses somehow, a Master's degree in Engineering could quickly become incomprehensible.

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What discipline of engineering. Engineering is so specialized these days, and one seems to have taken some basic introductory courses that may be common to some undergraduate engineering programs, e.g., mechanical engineering with a specialty in fluid mechanics. However, one would likely have to take some upper level courses in specific areas to get up to speed with those who have obtained a dedicated BS program.

JakeBrodsky has identified some of the areas in which one would need some experience at the upper levels to qualify for a graduate program.

It would be best to determine which field on engineering if of interest, then look at the upper level requirements for a BS, as well as requirements from an MS.

6. Aug 15, 2015 #5
    You could definitely do a masters in some field of engineering but you may be required to take some undergraduate level remedial courses to make sure you have your bases covered.

-Matt

7. Aug 15, 2015 #6
    Go with it man, take the courses and get them over with. I've realized there's a lot of discouragement on this forum, so if you want to go for something; get on it, ambition is what counts, but if you want to listen to others and keep asking these questions that's up to you. Anyways good luck with what ever you decide!

8. Aug 16, 2015 #7
    Most places I am familiar with would require you to do a second bachelor, including internships and all.

You come from a scientific discipline to move to an engineering discipline on a subject where there's few similarities.

Climate engineering doesn't exist yet, so the engineering variant of your original major has limitations. You are really sure you want to give up on that subject? I mean, you tried that and you tried physics and you are sure they both aren't your thing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook