Finding Optimal Angle to Hit Target 600m Away with 30m Hedge

• Thread starter Panthenole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, If you shoot the cannonball at an angle greater than 39.4 degrees, it will go over the hedge and not hit the target.
Panthenole
I'm trying to solve a "riddle" which is a bout shooting a cannonball above a hedge with a heigth of 30 meters. My goal is to hit a target on the other side of the hedge, at least 600 meters from the point where the cannon is located. The speed of the cannonball is approximately 100meters/second. The weight of the cannonball is irrelevant.

I'm looking the optimal angle and distance. Can't move closer than 600.

So I have length = 600m or further
Speed leaving cannon = 100m/s
Cannonball has to gove above the heigth 30m.

And I´m looking for the best angle. Or just an angle that will do the job..

It's been a long time since I read about physics, so I'd be very thankful if someone could freshen my memory a bit. I don't remember the formula for these type of calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the distance from the canon to the hedge?

nure said:
What is the distance from the canon to the hedge?

Sorry I missed that part, the distance from cannon to the hedge is 500 m. So the target behind on the other side of the hedge is 100 m behind the hedge.

If the initial speed makes an angle with the horizontal larger than 39.4 degrees, the cannonball will go over the hedge 500 meters away. And as we know the ball will have the maximum reach when the angle is 45.

But then the cannonball will not hit the target 100 meters behind the hedge, it will go further.

Could you please explain how you acquired that result?
Thanks a lot.

Hints:

1. Determine the angle for the shot to go 600 m.
2. Based on this angle, determine the height above ground when the ball reaches the hedge. If it is less than 30 m, you do not have the correct solution.
3. Look for another angle where the trigonometry function has the same value. Think mortar shot rather than a cannon shot if the ball won't clear the hedge.

Still don't get it right :/

The angle for the shot to go 600 m is not 39.4 degrees.

I'd be thankful if you'd show me the correct solution.

I cannot do it for you but I'll be glad to help. First thing to do is to determine the angle that will allow a 100 m/sec shot to travel 600 m. Let's forget about the hedge for the moment.

To do this you assume that the horizontal velocity is constant. This is true if drag is neglected which is our case here. Determine an expression for the range by finding the horizontal component of velocity and multiplying it by the time of flight. It'll be a function of angle and time of flight. You do not know either.

Next thing to do is determine the time of flight as a function of the vertical component of initial velocity. It will be a function of the unknown angle also. Get the expression for time and eliminate the unknown time from the range equation. Don't forget to double it. That leaves one unknown, namely theta.

Set the range equation equal to 600 m and solve for the angle.

Then test to see if ball clears the hedge. Get back to me when you have done this.

LawrenceC said:
The angle for the shot to go 600 m is not 39.4 degrees.

The angle of 39.4 degreed will though be the smallest angle the initial speed can make with the horizontal to get the cannonball not to collide with the hedge.

You don't want it to hit the hedge. You want it to clear the hedge and impact the target that is 600 m from where it was shot.

LawrenceC said:
You don't want it to hit the hedge. You want it to clear the hedge and impact the target that is 600 m from where it was shot.

Well, you won't hit the hedge if the angle is greater than 39.4? And the main question is asking for an angle that will get the cannonball AT LEAST 600 meters away from the initial position. If he actually want to hit the ground 600 meters ayaw, surely the angle will be different.

Here is the problem statement: "I'm trying to solve a "riddle" which is a bout shooting a cannonball above a hedge with a heigth of 30 meters. My goal is to hit a target on the other side of the hedge, at least 600 meters from the point where the cannon is located."

Problem says hit the target. You can clear the hedge as well as hit the target.

I've solved the problem using a 45 degree angle. Simple but sufficient for me. Thank you for the hints!

If you shoot it at 45 degrees, the ball lands about 1019 meters from where it was shot. You've missed the target by over 400 meters.

The correct answer is 71.97 degrees.

1. What is the optimal angle to hit a target 600m away with a 30m hedge?

The optimal angle to hit a target 600m away with a 30m hedge will depend on various factors such as the speed and trajectory of the projectile, the height of the hedge, and the wind conditions. It is not possible to determine a specific optimal angle without considering these variables.

2. How do I calculate the optimal angle to hit a target 600m away with a 30m hedge?

To calculate the optimal angle, you will need to use mathematical equations that take into account the speed of the projectile, the height of the hedge, and the distance to the target. These equations can be complex and may require advanced mathematics and knowledge of physics.

3. Can I use trial and error to find the optimal angle?

While trial and error may give you an approximation of the optimal angle, it is not a reliable method. The optimal angle can vary depending on the conditions, and it is not feasible to try every possible angle. It is best to use mathematical equations to calculate the optimal angle.

4. Are there any technological tools that can help me find the optimal angle?

Yes, there are various technological tools such as ballistic calculators and rangefinders that can assist you in finding the optimal angle. These tools use advanced algorithms and consider various factors such as wind speed and direction to determine the optimal angle for hitting a target.

5. Is the optimal angle the same for all types of projectiles?

No, the optimal angle can vary depending on the type of projectile being used. Different projectiles have different speeds, trajectories, and air resistance, which can affect the optimal angle. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of the projectile when calculating the optimal angle.