Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A To capture the infrared light

1. Jan 21, 2019 #1
    hello :

i have a small question , can we use multi layer thin films to increase absorption of infrared spectrum , on certain surface , ?

taking in mind that we use the same kind of thin film for each layer .
    is that possible ?

best
    hagop

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2019 #2
    You can certainly increase absorption by using thin layers of different materials. What matters is change in refractive index. This is quite similar to anti-reflection coating, however you would have to use lossy optical materials for your anti-reflection coating to get absorption (as opposed to transmission)

4. Jan 28, 2019 #3
    What about x-rays

5. Jan 29, 2019 #4
    In x-rays materials do not respond as effective media anymore, so the above approach will probably fail. Materials still scatter x-rays, so maybe one can try Anderson localization tricks, i.e. send x-rays at disordered media such as glass. Or simply use thicker layers. This is all on the level of a hypothesis, I do not work with x-rays.

6. Jan 29, 2019 #5
    But if the thickness of the thin-film is near the wave length of the x-ray incoming wave ?

7. Jan 29, 2019 #6
    x-ray wavelength is on the scale of few Angstrom. Does it make sence to talk about electromagnetic media of such thickness? There is graphene and other 2d materials, but I would not call them electromagnetic media.

8. Jan 29, 2019 #7
    Multiple stack of thin films of that thickness

9. Jan 29, 2019 #8
    Initially it was infrared, then x-ray, then single-wavelength thick layer, now many layers ... Is there anything specific you are after?

10. Jan 30, 2019 #9
    You answered the infra red question,then you indicated that single layer is not going to effect (the question of single layer was not clear my mistake) ,
    But in case of multiple layers if they are thin enough that what I was wondering about or asking about

11. Feb 7, 2019 #10
    Not particularly. Typically, for x-ray shielding bulk amounts of lead or other high atomic number materials, such as tungsten-filled polymers are used.
    For infrared absorption the absorption process would typically be a band-to-band transition or the excitation of a vibrational/rotational mode.
    As x-rays are much higher energy, different processes dominate (for instance the generation of secondary electrons and the subsequent bremsstrahlung). In principle, you can have high-absorption if the x-ray energy is at an absorption edge of the material in question, however you would still generate ionising radiation via Auger processes and bremsstrahlung.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?