• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date

Do you clean your coffee pot?

• Total voters
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fortnightly we have very good water. It just a few days from the snow pack and springs of the Cascade mountains. We have used that carafe for nearly 10 yrs with NO mineral build up. Nor is there any mineral build up in the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006F2MI/?tag=pfamazon01-20 itself. It is a vacuum carafe so the coffee does not get cooked after brewing, ie no heat is applied to keep it warm.

I cannot taste any difference from pre clean to after clean. We are currently using cheap a$$ Costco beans, I may go get some good http://www.sivetzcoffee.com/" beans to see if they taste better. The difference is $5/lb vs $10/lb.
What's your water quality like the other 2 weeks of the month :tongue2:?

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's your water quality like the other 2 weeks of the month :tongue2:?
OMG! I am still wearing my glasses today, and my vision aint all that. The spell checker usually know what I mean, guess it didn't correctly read my mind this time.

Obviously that should read FORTUNATLY!

Suppose I should but my contacts in?

What has this got to do with cleaning a coffee carafe?
If instant coffee is used then a coffee carafe is unnecessary.

Actually, because the batch brewing and spray drying processes are precisely controlled by automated systems and a variety of chemical processing systems, the efficiency of instant coffee production is higher than if a regular coffee brewer is used. Now it is possible to install such accessories in coffee brewers but that would greatly increase the cost of purchasing the brewer which is why these systems are best suited for the mass production of instant coffee. The instant coffee also has a longer shelf life thanks to its dehydrated form and has a lower shipping weight and volume than ground coffee or beans which decreases the energy used to ship the coffee and the amount of coffee that expires in the groceries. This is the reason why the average cost efficacy of ground or bean coffee is 1.59c/g while the instant coffee costs only 0.74c/g which makes it 115% cheaper and this is without mention of the sugar and coffee cream powder bottles that have to be purchased separately if ground or bean coffee is used. The coffee brewer that people have to purchase alone has a penalty on resources because it takes energy and materials to make and distribute the appliance whose only use is coffee brewing. The cost of purchasing disposable coffee filters, and the energy and materials used to maintain the brewer which is the initial dilemma posted by the thread originator are also additional penalties.

The two images below were taken from an online supermarket and it shows the prices per gram of both types of coffees:

[PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8484/groundl.png [Broken]

[PLAIN]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/323/instant.png [Broken]

In dollar terms, this equates to 1.59c/g for the ground coffee and 0.74c/g for the instant coffee which makes the instant coffee 115% cheaper than the ground coffee. In fact, even with the lowest average price posted for bean coffee at $5/lb which equates to 1.1c/g, the instant coffee still turns out to be 50% cheaper than the bean coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drink tea.

EDIT: Also to the poster above, instant coffee tastes ****. So no point in making it in the first place. Then you can save your 47p by not buying Tesco rubbish.

Never, never sporadically clean a coffee cup or brewer. This is a very bad idea, and will lead to psychological episodes of insatiation.

Every coffee maker and coffee cup develops it's own fauna and flora. These develop on their own to become key, and necessary flavor enhancers. My own flavor additive happens to be provided by pale gray fungus garden residing in the water reservoir.

Dembadon
Gold Member
We clean our equipment every Sunday, mainly for the reasons Evo mentioned. Coffee starts to taste a bit funky after a few weeks of buildup.

EDIT: Also to the poster above, instant coffee tastes ****. So no point in making it in the first place. Then you can save your 47p by not buying Tesco rubbish.
There are nice instant coffees Nescafe Gold Blend and Blend37 - but instant has such a bad rep outside the UK you can't buy them anywhere else.
They are better than 'supermarket brand' ground coffee in the USA and a lot more convenient.

There are nice instant coffees Nescafe Gold Blend and Blend37 - but instant has such a bad rep outside the UK you can't buy them anywhere else.
They are better than 'supermarket brand' ground coffee in the USA and a lot more convenient.
Or just have the best of both worlds... Augment your brewed coffee with instant. But still clean the pot. The idea of gray fuzzy mold...:yuck:

easiest way i've found to clean coffee patina off glass is automatic dishwasher powder (which i think is mostly trisodium phosphate and a bit of chlorine bleach) and hot water. shake/swirl/sit/rinse. easy-peasy.

for calcium deposits on the water heating element of the coffee maker, i pour hot vinegar into the back of the thing where the water goes and turn it on. you get rewarded with a pot full of vinegar, calcium acetate, and calcium sand.

Evo
Mentor
this statement is false
I've actually had a few instants that weren't bad. They were in foil pouches, maybe that helped.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday I decided to take the next step. I added ~250ml of white vinegar to the water and ran in thorough the coffee maker. Today I actually think I tasted an improvement in our coffee. I am still not convinced that cleaning the patina out of our carafe made any difference but just maybe there were some mineral deposits in the heater mechanism which were adding something to the water.