To double major or to not double major.

In summary, double majoring in physics and engineering can be a good option if you want to keep your options open and don't know if a physics degree is enough. It is also a skill set that you might want to have if you want to pursue a career in aerospace engineering.
Joeglaw
I'm 34 and just starting college. I have to go the community college route. I will get a degree in physics. I wonder though if I should double major in an engineering field?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your plans after you get your undergraduate degree? Grad school? Job? What are your goals?

What is the motivation behind double-majoring w/ engineering?

What degree are you planning to get? What career are you aiming for?

Time will be getting short, so I doubt grad school will be an option. I'm considering the double major because I want to keep my options open. Just not sure if it is needed with a physics degree.

I would like to work for NASA in some capacity. I grew up down the road from Johnson Space Center, and it's always been a dream of mine.

If you want to be a physicist, you basically need to get a PhD.

What would you like to do for NASA? Engineering? Physics? Programming?

You need to give us a bit more material to work with. :smile:

Also, welcome to the forums!

Honestly I'd like to build things that go into space I don't care what. I'm good with my hands and I love math. But that's why I asked the question I sort of don't know which direction to go. I'm just trying to get my core classes done for now. I eventually want to get a PhD, but I need to start earning a living ASAP.

Then don't go physics, go aerospace engineering. We build things that go into space, and we don't even need to get a Ph.D.

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm 32 and in my 3rd semester of community college. Majoring in physical sciences and hoping to dual major in physics & engineering when I transfer (probably mechanical but not sure). I've always loved astronomy and astrophysics / cosmology and was planning to pursue that as a career, but I'd also be happy in the green sector, designing the next generation wind-turbines and solar panels or researching new energy sources. You might ask why dual major if my goal is astrophysics, well it's a really good fallback plan and it's also a skill set that I just really want to have.

So many important choices coming up...Any comments / feedback is welcome.

I love physics and was told I could never obtain a degree, so partly It's to prove I can to myself. I would love to go into aerospace engineering but the university I have to transfer to doesn't offer it. Are there any other avenues to get in the field i.e. mechanical or electrical?

My university doesn't have an aerospace undergraduate program, either. I would talk to an advisor to see if you can earn a Mechanical Engineering BS (most closely related to Aerospace Engineering than any other discipline, in my opinion) with an emphasis in Aerospace courses. You might be able to take several applicable technical electives in courses such as Compressible Flow, Aerodynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, etc. You'll already be taking Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics as an ME major, which AE engineers use all of the time. That should qualify you to design rockets, etc. If your employer wants you to go on to get an MS in Aerospace Engineering, usually they will pay for your education.

EDIT: I am studying ME, and have several classmates planning to do AE. If I mentioned a blanket statement about AE that is incorrect, let me know. :)

1. Is it worth it to double major?

It depends on your individual goals and circumstances. In some cases, double majoring can provide a competitive edge in the job market or prepare you for a specific career path. However, it can also be more challenging and time-consuming, and may not be necessary for certain career paths.

2. Will double majoring take longer to graduate?

In most cases, yes. Double majoring requires taking more classes, so it may take longer to fulfill all the requirements for both majors. However, careful planning and prioritization can help minimize the impact on graduation time.

3. Can I double major in any two subjects?

It depends on the specific requirements of your university and the majors you are interested in. Some majors may have overlapping courses or may require more credits than others, making it difficult to double major. It's important to consult with an advisor to determine if your desired double majors are feasible.

4. Will double majoring give me an advantage in the job market?

It depends on the job market and the specific majors you choose. In some fields, having a double major may make you a more attractive candidate to employers. However, in other fields, job experience and skills may be more important than having multiple majors.

5. Can I change my mind and drop one of my majors if I decide I no longer want a double major?

Yes, you can typically drop one of your majors and still graduate with a single major. However, it's important to consult with your academic advisor and check your university's policies to ensure that you will still meet all the requirements for graduation.